An interesting, but disturbing trend

Vancouver is probably the only place in Canada where property is more expensive than Toronto. Half of my mail the last few months is realtors wanting to sell my house for enough to retire on - and it isn’t an particularly big of fancy house.
It's just crazy. New/young people just don't have a chance here.

I'm sure it pales by comparison but...the rent for a decent 2 bed 2 bath apartment around Birmingham (AL not England) range from 1500-2200 per month. At least in the areas where you don't have to worry as much about becoming "collateral damage" in the daily gunfights that happen anyway.

Hence...the reason I moved an hour and a half away to the country. You have to sacrifice the usual mod-cons as far as restaurants and entertainment go. But, it's totally worth it after the initial culture shock wears off (or at least That's what I keep telling myself). Besides, the quiet life suits me more and more as I become more "vintage";)

The culture shock does eventually wear off. I moved from the Tampa Bay area to a tiny mountain town outside the Smokies. Once you begin to assimilate you will really enjoy it. Salt of the earth peeple ana few more values than them city folk who'd as soon sell out ther gramma fer a buck.

The culture shock does eventually wear off. I moved from the Tampa Bay area to a tiny mountain town outside the Smokies. Once you begin to assimilate you will really enjoy it. Salt of the earth peeple ana few more values than them city folk who'd as soon sell out ther gramma fer a buck.

Yeah, it does get a bit more tolerable. I was raised in a small town about 14 miles from downtown Birmingham. It was pretty cool because it felt like a small town but close enough to civilization that it didn't really seem like it.

Here, it's quiet, peaceful, way more affordable and there's hardly any violent crime (except the occasional meth head on the loose, usually the violence is from the cops when that happens). It would be better if there were a decent sized city within 100 miles in any direction. This place is in the center of absolutely nothing. Birmingham, Muscle Shoals or Tupelo are all are all at least an hour and a half away. Sucks but again, it's a tradeoff that I'm willing to accept.

I absolutely LOVE the Smokies! Such a beautiful area. My ex-father-in-law built a vacation home in Wares Valley. I swear that house and unlimited access to it was why I stuck it out with the ex as long as I did! ;)

Last edited:
Just the minimum down payment on houses in my neighborhood have gone up 40-50k in the last two years. I don’t think I could afford to buy my own house any more.
Trust me, I have that conversation with people every day. I have one buddy that has been renting since 2019 (divorced then). At that time he said "I'm not paying $x for a house like that. It's not worth it." Now 2 years later, they are $50K more than that.

Or an older couple who tells me "we can't afford to downsize. We can't even afford a smaller home than ours!" Of course, when they find out what theirs is worth, they can afford it, but the prices are shocking, and to someone who's owned a home for 15 years or more, it's mind boggling.

And while we're whining about prices: all of a sudden it costs most of $100 to drive over to visit my mother in law...in my little VW.

Yeah, luckily the GG works just under a mile from home. We also bought a Honda Accord back in October that averages around 27 mpg around here and 35 on the highway. But, my mom is still back home. Between the visits to see her and go to my monthly doctors appointments in Birmingham. Even with the gas sipper...it's still a killer of the "discretionary income" for sure...and don't even get me started on price of groceries these days. But hey, even with all that... I'm very thankful to not be getting bombed, losing loved ones, shot and/or displaced from my home. As much as I gripe about stuff, I'm still grateful.

Im sorry..i have to...

What in the wide world of sports does this even mean? Just...wow.

Yes, I'm not sure where that came from. I disagreed with that early in the thread. I do it almost every single night. There are always at least 3 guitars out and on most nights I play at least two of them. Sometimes I'll play 4 in one night, and one of them might be a Taylor GS Mini or even my Baby Taylor, and those two aren't even close to the standard "range" of scales that the other guitars are in.

Moving around to different scale length guitars is no different than moving around on the neck, where the fret spacing changes with every single move up or down the neck.

Thou shalt not purchase thy second axe until such time as thine first axe canst no longer be gazed upon.

I think was how it was chiseled into the tablet.
I believe that part came right before the instructions for the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

Never count "two" unless thy proceedeth to three.

Strange. I didn’t have anyone here pegged as an Old Testament guy.

Back