All about bicycles

45km today from Trier to Bernkastel-Keus.

i-Q5jtCFq-X5.jpg

i-zH4ZSqd-X5.jpg

i-H83FPSz-X5.jpg

I started a 21 stage challenge today. It’s loosely patterned after the Tour de France, but a lot shorter. For grins I thought I would ride as many different bikes as I can. I’ll try to remember to add some photos when I get a bit further into it.

I’ll be layering in the ongoing TT Challenge I started in May. At week 10mI have a perfect record of covering the 20km a bit faster than the previous week, but it’s getting harder to shave seconds on heart and legs alone. Good thing I have a faster bike in the wings to switch to when I hit my limit of the Giro.

Some photos of the first week of my stage race. I thought I would toss as many bikes as I could into the mix.
Stage 1: TT on my traffic friendly stick bike
PdFStage1Giro.JPG

Stage 2: Mountain, so I took the cross bike out to repeat the longest climb within riding distance
PdFStage2Wilier.JPG

Stage 3: Flat, so I took Vinnie along the river
PdFStage3Vinnie.JPG

Stage 4: Mountain, so I took the mountain bike up and down the trails of the moraine
PdFStage4Stumpjumper.JPG

Stage 5: Hills, I thought I would make it more challenging by taking the fixie. The downhills were much more work than the up hills - no brakes allowed.
PdFStage5Goldie.JPG

Stage 6: long, flat and wet - I reused the Stage 1 bike

Stage 7: rolling hills so I took the high racer to hang with the time trialers that like to ride the north face of the moraine on Sundays.
Yes, the pedals are about 20cm above the seat. This is my fastest bike - for now.
PdFStage7Strada.JPG

We have bikes popping up in quite a few threads, so we must have something to talk about.
What you ride, where you ride, tours you might do, things you’re thinking.

My first good bike when I was a road racer in the mid-60s was a Frejus. Sold it eventually, had kids, got a Schwinn Super Sport, and sold it a few years ago. I decided that when you are over 70 you should not risk falling so I decided to find an adult semi-recumbant bike. I found this one which has an electric-assist and I love it. Here it is:

MlFVSTg
MlFVSTg
MlFVSTg
https://imgur.com/MlFVSTg

And, while I'm at it....here's my newest PRS:

https://imgur.com/MlFVSTg

ncgML8A

Sorry for the link...I don't know how to insert the pics directly

Ray

Last edited:
55 miles yesterday. Starting to get my legs back. Most of the trail was in good shape but its Germany so there are a few places like this to be expected.

i-zVvxDwd-X4.jpg

The weather couldn't have been any better.

i-BtKT9Xn-X4.jpg

And there were some interesting things to see along the way.

i-8xKbsPQ-X4.jpg

55 miles yesterday. Starting to get my legs back. Most of the trail was in good shape but its Germany so there are a few places like this to be expected.

i-zVvxDwd-X4.jpg

The weather couldn't have been any better.

i-BtKT9Xn-X4.jpg

And there were some interesting things to see along the way.

i-8xKbsPQ-X4.jpg

Hell yeah on the 55 miles. It looks amazing. I’m lucky to ride in some great scenery in Austin and the CO Rockies, but the historic views and cobbles...

Back