Advise on tidying up a 1997 McCarty

NZ_Nick

Hello everyone,
I have just picked up a 1997 PRS McCarty (S/N 734630). Got it for a good price and its in pretty good condition for its age. There is some tarnish on the hardware which I intend to use Music Nomad polish to sort out. What is bothering me though is that there are small cracks around the pickup ring screws (most of them anyway). What I would like to know is what kind of rings they are? Where they made by PRS at the time or where they stock items from somewhere else?
The rings are not flat which new PRS rings appear to be -at least according to a description I read.
Basically I want to know if I can just find some DiMarzio or Seymour Duncun or what ever rings that will fit?

Any advise is much appreciated,
Cheers,
Nick

Pics would help answer the PU rings questions...and any time you pick up an older guitar, I recommend cleaning/treating the fingerboard when you put your first set of new strings on. I've seen a few VERY dry boards that really soak up the oil...do not apply too much (!!!!!) , but if the FB appears dried out, it could really help keep the guitar nice. This is really the only time I remove all 6 strings at once, but I losen the truss rod just a tad because you are about to take 200-300 lbs. of pressure off of it. This also is a good time to make sure the truss rod is working properly. ( This should be done prior to purchase, if at all possible, especially with older guitars). Once the new strings have been installed, and as the oil continues to get absorbed into the FB wood, you can re-tighten the truss rod. This is one of my favorite aspects of PRS guitars. I've adjusted hundreds of necks and have yet to see a Truss rod the isn't functioning smoothly. Reminder...with PRS truss rods, just a 1/4 turn makes a big difference...do NOT overdo it.

How much many 1/4 turns should I loosen the truss rod (and which direction- when removing the strings?

Just a slight 1/4 turn...put truss rod adjusting tool over TR nut and turn to the left (just like a screwdriver...lefty loosey, righty tighty) and this takes pressure off the neck...when you do this with strings still on and tuned, and site down the neck, from headstock towards body, you should see a slight bow in the neck, where the fingerboard appears to be further away from the strings around frets 7-15...some people don't do this...just a personal preference of mine. Again, this also assures the truss rod is working properly. The main issue that occurs with truss rods is that people turn them too much...PRSi are very easy to work with, and a slight adjustments makes huge differences. Another way to look at it is when you turn the wrench, it should turn smoothly to the left, with the end of the little handle travelling no more than 1" (one inch) total. It may be tight to start the first time, as they do not get adjusted too often. If you are in doubt at all, take it to a guitar shop and ask to see it the first time. Hope this helps.

Any of the pickup rings I've seen from a PRS of that vintage said DiMarzio underneath. It's in the hollow near the mounting screws. Check yours and you'll probably find the same.

Sorry for the crappy quality of the photos. In the 3rd pic you can see the shape of the pickup rings, the neck ring looks as if it should perhaps be flat to better align with the strings.

In the last pic you can see some damage to the chrome plating on the bridge. Does anyone know how to fix this without replacing the bridge?

1997McCarty1_zpsdc73f8a0.jpg

FullGuitar2_zps8d556079.jpg

PickupRings1_zps4d4847a1.jpg

BridgeScratch1_zps2ee7f819.jpg

Thanks for the help Bill SAS 513 and ADP. The guitar has brand new strings so will investigate further when they need to be changed.

Cool looking guitar. I'll confirm what ADP says. I put Dimarzio rings on my '97 McCarty and they are a perfect fit.

You shouldn't have to adjust the truss rod at all, when changing strings. Only when you want to adjust the neck. There is no problem removing all of the strings for a short period of time...

Jamie

I'm not a huge McCarty fan but yours sir I really like. Very nice color flow and grain....love it

Those look like the standard rings that come on McCarty's. PRS rings for that guitar are shorter, and have that distinct angle to them. I have cracks in mine too, at least the bridge bass side. It's big enough to get dirt in it, but not big enough to get it out... I just live with it as all the other holes on both pickups are fine. Your guitar appears the exact twin to mine, same finish.

Back