A review of the Core McCarty 594 guitar

I was looking for a pickup capable of splitting coils and the 58/15 lt excites my ears. The 58/15 lt are some really good sounding pickups.

If you know of any pickups similar to the 58/15 lt, could you please let me know?
Have you tried the import version, the 58/15 "S"? Not quite the same as the USA-made LT's, they're wound a little more so output is a little hotter. That said, they're based on the same design, and have a pretty similar sound profile. They're used in the SE Hollowbodys, as well as all the various S2 McCarty 594s.
Certainly some folks aren't fans, and swap them out of their S2's especially, but I find them very good. And you can usually find a set of them on Reverb for around $100-$125 - much cheaper (and easier to find) than the LT's are. They might do the job for you (while you save up for that Core 594!)

Well the thornbuckers are a good choice if you want the brighter paf style humbuckers. Imo they had just a smidge more top end, and not quite as thick in the low mids as the 58/15lt’s.

Now I will admit they don’t split as well for sure. So I actually set mine up to do series/parallel. That imo actually works really well. It’s definitely more of a single coil sound, but no hum. You can also add a resistor for split mode. That should help. I never tried that. But I think PRS actually does that on some of their split setups.

But imo, you won’t be truly happy until you get a 594. I basically just went through this. I bought 4-5 really great guitars. But they weren’t a 594. Then I found a stupid good deal on a artist sc594. I have barely looked at reverb/eBay since I got it. Until you get what you want, nothing else will truly satisfy. Just my .02.
Thank you.

I've been looking into thornbucker based on your comments and have seen the praises from users. I ordered a thornbucker bridge pickup and will soon be ordering a neck pickup as well.

Please look forward to the wonderful transformation of my Samick guitar.

Thank you. :)

Am I crazy for also wanting a single cut McCarty 594? Then again the PRS Studio could be a better option as it would provide different tones.

Last edited:
As I give all my guitars names, my 594 is called magic. I swear, I can play things on that guitar that I cant on any other guitar I own. My speed and accuracy is amazing and I just have not seen that with the rest of my collection, which has some pretty heavy hitters in it.

Back