53/10's

David Grantham

I know that I am probably late to all this but why did the 53/10's get replaced with the 57/08's? I noticed that they are also gone in the JA-15? I have one incoming and I wish that I could have tried the version with the 57/08's. Should I kill the deal and wait for one with the updated pickups? Thanks for any input.

Run on sentences fixed :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the 53/10 pups any more....they don't put them in the P22's any more either, and you can't buy them separately either. Maybe they're discontinuing them?

I think they've been discontinued due to the difficulty of getting the wire, or something like that. Haven't tried them, but from what I've heard people say about them, they definitely aren't being discontinued for lack of popularity. If your guitar is coming in with the 53/10's, might as well try them. Worst case scenario you sell or trade them for some 57/08's - last set of 53/10's I saw on VR sold in about 30 minutes.

I had asked Shawn about 53/10's recently as I was looking to swap them into one of my PRS that I thought the 53/10's would go perfectly with the guitar, seems they are done for good, the note above about the wire being the reason. I thought I had seen something about it previously but wasn't sure if that was speculation or official, especially since I've seen several recent Private Stocks with those in there, but Shawn said no more 53/10's for sure unfortunately. I had them in a 2012 P22 Rosewood last year and they sounded fantastic in that guitar! I'd say try them out, at least worst-case scenario you know you can still get 57/08's pretty easily and there are tons of used PRSi on the market with them so you could likely even find someone looking to yank a set of 57/08's out of their guitar and be willing to sell them to you I'm sure. :)

It'd be a big bummer if they are indeed gone for good, as they're not only my favorite PRS pickups, but are among my favorite humbuckers, period. Glad I have a set in my PS, and I'd bet that a few extremely smart and talented members here picked up an extra set to stash away for good keeping....... ; - )

It'd be a big bummer if they are indeed gone for good, as they're not only my favorite PRS pickups, but are among my favorite humbuckers, period. Glad I have a set in my PS, and I'd bet that a few extremely smart and talented members here picked up an extra set to stash away for good keeping....... ; - )
Including the current incoming I have 6 sets of these in my PRS guitars. :) I don't want to miss out on the 57/08 party. I really want to hear these pickups in a JA-15.

Last edited:
I had asked Shawn about 53/10's recently as I was looking to swap them into one of my PRS that I thought the 53/10's would go perfectly with the guitar, seems they are done for good, the note above about the wire being the reason. I thought I had seen something about it previously but wasn't sure if that was speculation or official, especially since I've seen several recent Private Stocks with those in there, but Shawn said no more 53/10's for sure unfortunately. I had them in a 2012 P22 Rosewood last year and they sounded fantastic in that guitar! I'd say try them out, at least worst-case scenario you know you can still get 57/08's pretty easily and there are tons of used PRSi on the market with them so you could likely even find someone looking to yank a set of 57/08's out of their guitar and be willing to sell them to you I'm sure. :)
I can tell you are as passionate about this as I am. I had to edit the run ons in my original post. Way too much mind activity in me at the present moment. Lol

Last edited:
Wait, I thought that the 57/08s where the ones made with a special, limited availability wire? or I'm I wrong about that??

Wait, I thought that the 57/08s where the ones made with a special, limited availability wire? or I'm I wrong about that??

Exclusivity to the machine that does the wrapping if I am not mistaken. There's a video where Paul talks about it, but I can't seem to recall where it's at right now. I will keep an eye out for it.

The 53/10 pups used unique wire and we can no longer attain that wire on a consistent basis. As a manufacturer, we must be able to rely on a constant flow of materials in order to offer any item for sale as a option.

Exclusivity to the machine that does the wrapping if I am not mistaken. There's a video where Paul talks about it, but I can't seem to recall where it's at right now. I will keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Drop Mike a line at PRS... They might be able to work some magic for you. If you're near by.. I'd just stop by their head quarters.. go on the tour & try to make a back room deal with Paul himself! ;)

a 53/10 neck pup just kills!
I concur!

2ca15517b113838bcdaa46308636b217.jpg

Back