513s

THAT is one good looking beast! And I'm a dedicated maple cap kinda guy! Between the really cool longitudinal grain figures, that tobacco stain and the understated 513 pups, it's just such a killer look.
I've never played a maple cap one. This one sounded great

I have a great AP version. Maple neck, fab top, etc. THEN, got a chance at a PS version with incredible quilted top, rosewood neck, etc.

Lately, I have been reconnecting with the AP. Seems to me like the "Strat" settings give me what I have never been able to settle with in a real (or clone) Strat. The PS is more impressive, but......

And the advantage is that I can get the vintage and modern HB sounds too, just by flipping a 3 way switch.

These are seriously good guitars!

Gardening is supposed to be very tough to get those fruits:

nboUCLPzg43UTjb9wU2ZRfTy5K507oKjmyyzi8bmn6cJdq2njAEoiR3UR13Nz_OBkOu1P9jNhiJrhF5tmEBElqN3QCO2DiwlccPuuRkk2OpRvqE3FmuixEyjJBqPU38RNWWM_u4LxGWuVZf6R2wvUwzirg6_-vZ8dr92v-ETiVvo05KWMGhWWm84qes0-yDUMQsWIpiMFsOmbjjMcwHR8wAFN-zD1en4gNFtoO2eyB21rND54QyPMrEFs_t8CreTLU4CiR6MXL6VbJibBPc9TX9b3euZiN_y8PdjP8j7nk2_zkc0Z7p3X9yQrqBeqv57yKgVSOjfEX_0CHOWsfpSGpGeDWgilEtOkQ7wx0tHBaFBHkmzzreB_1b2rgfRyku7GBg1qC8Des0F_a3egUU9u-3pJdx5hWSO_V07PghKeMGswinu2w0lJqVMoFvdxApRtIn92y0dobimJXzePvMvNQpUf2839fygmcz6AW7FPO8St_IvxU2dw3idiZIjLN3CXuM5-mJC9MiD8WlW9cC0Y9IOn4rnMeh3sDfLPUTHLvCrmFwIwrz8pVv-i-J9s8NPNkqRZw=w1263-h947-no

Try 'em in all the flavors.
DSC_00210103.jpg

DSC_0002-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

DSC_0009-1.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005-3.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

DSC_00190060.jpg

DSC_0022-4.jpg

DSC_0036-1.jpg

O.K. Yeah, one of them is a Prototype 305, but it has a 513 neck carve. In case, you're having trouble telling them apart. Back row- 513 Rosewood, 513, 513 Rosewood, 513 Rosewood. Front row- 513 1-off, 513 1-off(Maple Neck), 305 Prototype, 513 Swamp Ash

Dang! Very nice collection!

How about sharing ding and dongs? I do play my PRS, therefore average usage leaves some signs. Some marks happened unforseen.

dscn1304-jpg.493392

This happens when you´re sitting in your office armchair in front of your desk, turning around for small adjustments of the HD500X and your guitar´s neck touches the edge of desk.

dscn1309-jpg.493393

Next mark: This occurs whren the guitar stand stands before a shelf, you are about to fetch something out of it and another good is falling down. In that certain case a Blackhawk magazine pouch dropped off the shelf
and touched down on the edge of the top of my PRS... Wounded in action? Wounded while resting! (Example for the magazine pouches: the black ones for pistol magazines mounted in the middle of the ballistic vest:
392340-2fba7c35fc2b34c7b8df485aba577a81.jpg
).

dscn1316-jpg.493395

This accident happened while the honeymoon phase in the first weeks after I got my 513. The strap went off the rear pin, the guitar dropped down. I was able to grab it before full touch down, but the impact was as strong enough that
the right angle plug was pushed against the shroud. Anyways. Soon after that I installed security locks...

dscn1317-jpg.493396

I still have no clue where I do injured the backside edge with this cut (the edge of the backside the the shroud of the lower horn).

dscn1321-jpg.493398

Headstock: I was about to put back my guitar into the case when suddenly the lid closed. Like the bite of an alligator the headstock has been caught and was wounded with this dental impression.

dscn1320-jpg.493397

The upper horn of the headstock has got little signs of contact at the front- and backside edges, too.

Anyways: It´s an instrument, but I pay attention that the number and quality of the signs of usage will remain on low level.

How about sharing ding and dongs? I do play my PRS, therefore average usage leaves some signs. Some marks happened unforseen.

Well, pictures of dings are okay, but pictures of dongs are right out. Similarly, pics of scratches are fine, but a picture of a gash will usually get you banned.

For some reason, pictures of what are generally described as "the dog's bollocks" are perfectly acceptable.

Correct. They SHOULD use copper.
You know, it's slightly disappointing to read this. With all Paul's talk about maximizing the guitars and making sure they perform at the highest level, one would think a Core guitar with single coils would be correctly and completely insulated with copper to minimize hum and thereby maximize sound output.

@coyote, I guess it´s not depending on the point of view but scientific (physics) knowledge what suits best for hum cancelling. Using copper shielding (either lacquer or foil) is ONE solution. Another one is to take care of a proper grounding on mass.
You might know that I own a Hollowbody with a pair of two singlecoils. This guitar has neither shielding lacquer nor shielding foil but a proper grounding on mass of the electrical parts.

Hello every one, new member here.
Recently I got a NOS PRS 513 25th anniversary that is a beauty.
Today when I was playing the different options I got some intermittent sound in the bridge pickup when using single coil and Full HB... Clear HB was ok. So I started looking for what happened and found that both coils in the bridge pickup where at different height making the pc board under the pickup to bent causing the intermittent sound. I got fixed and previous to play I checked the dc resistance of the pickups at the jack with my multimeter. Well neck and middle pickups gave me numbers in the range of 6 to 12 k ohm but the bridge reads 30 k ohms in single coil and 60 k ohms in full HB. Is that normal? Do you know if is there a resistor in series between the bridge pickup and the route to jack beside the pots? The pickup sound fine, not amazing. In fact it sounds kind of thin, I thought It was the usual sound but this DC R readings make me wonder if maybe I just got a a bad pickup.

I personally did not check the resistance of my 513 MT (it has handwired electric parts). Though I noticed someones figures:

513 Treble HH: 15,54 kOhm
513 Bass HH: 11,93 kOhm

513 Treble CH: 9,65 kOhm
513 Bass CH: 7,69 kOhm

513 Treble SC: 7,93 kOhm
513 Middle SC: 6,31 kOhm
513 Bass SC: 6,14 kOhm

I'm convinced that your guitar has some malfunction in its circuit.
Therefore you should make an appointment with the dealer or even the PTC to let them fix it. If it is a NOS maybe this is under warranty.

I personally did not check the resistance of my 513 MT (it has handwired electric parts). Though I noticed someones figures:

513 Treble HH: 15,54 kOhm
513 Bass HH: 11,93 kOhm

513 Treble CH: 9,65 kOhm
513 Bass CH: 7,69 kOhm

513 Treble SC: 7,93 kOhm
513 Middle SC: 6,31 kOhm
513 Bass SC: 6,14 kOhm

I'm convinced that your guitar has some malfunction in its circuit.
Therefore you should make an appointment with the dealer or even the PTC to let them fix it. If it is a NOS maybe this is under warranty.
Those look similar to readings that I have gotten. Modern Humbucking should be 15k something at the bridge.

Thanks you very much for sharing your pickup dc resistance readings.

My neck and middle coils read similar to yours, just the bridge is reading very weird. Since I doubt the guitar is still under warranty I will take my bridge pickup out today to check what is happening, maybe I can fix It.

Good luck! I won't dare DIY check those complex PUs due to the fact that I'm neither an electrician nor a technician.

Well, I turns out that one of the coils is broken. The coil that is active when in SC mode (inner coil in my case) only have the first half (where the coil is tapped) ok reading 3.1 k. The other half has maybe a broken wire and that's why It reads so hi DC resistance (over 60k). The second coil is ok reading 8k.

That's why the sound was so thin and trebly even in full HB mode.

So, I flipped the pickup 180 degree to have the coil tha is ok inner and the broken coil outter. Then changed the wiring to active the good coil when in SC mode. That gave me a more usable bridge sound in all modes, with more bodied SC and a Pafish HB sound that I am enjoying so much.

Anyway this is only a temp solution. I will ask PRS for a new bridge pickup or maybe ask Magnetics Pickups Inc. to custom build a new bridge pickup for me.

Back