513s

Egads

One, Two, THIRTEEN!
Hey guys. I love seeing all the amazing guitars you all have. One model I haven't seen a lot of love for here is the 513. I know the birds are probably the most hated, but I happen to like the deviation from the norm. Same with the pups. The flexibility is great, though they take some getting used to.

I have seen a couple pics out there. How about a post just these great guitars? I'll start:

513FrontinCase.jpg

513Birds.jpg

513Flame.jpg

Last edited:
Size comparison with DGT:
DSC_0779.jpg

Nice pair! A DGT Hog has been on my short list since it came out (I'm a sucker for all mahogany guitars), but may have just been bumped by a 408 Standard. Ah, GAS.

Last edited:
Love mine...Most versatile PRS, IMHO... Swamp 513 in Seafoam Green...Classy looks, and great tones across the board. Cool clean singles up to the Chunkiest of Buckers!!!!

Love mine...Most versatile PRS, IMHO... Swamp 513 in Seafoam Green...Classy looks, and great tones across the board. Cool clean singles up to the Chunkiest of Buckers!!!!

What's the neck on your Swampy? Got any pics?

Hey guys. I love seeing all the amazing guitars you all have. One model I haven't seen a lot of love for here is the 513. I know the birds are probably the most hated, but I happen to like the deviation from the norm. Same with the pups. The flexibility is great, though they take some getting used to.

I have seen a couple pics out there. How a post just these great guitars? I'll start:

513FrontinCase.jpg

513Birds.jpg

513Flame.jpg

Superb! How is this color called?

It's violin amber burst. I really love the color, but almost didn't order it because it was a wrap-around color. I really wanted the natural binding. It's grown on me. Mine is an '08, and I think I saw a non-wrap-around version in '09 or '10.

Try 'em in all the flavors.
DSC_00210103.jpg

[O.K. Yeah, one of them is a Prototype 305, but it has a 513 neck carve. In case, you're having trouble telling them apart. Back row- 513 Rosewood, 513, 513 Rosewood, 513 Rosewood. Front row- 513 1-off, 513 1-off(Maple Neck), 305 Prototype, 513 Swamp Ash

HOLY HELL! I guess you do like 'em.

Can you describe the tonal differences you hear between the necks? How about with the Swamp Ash? I'm a big fan of Swamp Ash, in general, and would love to hear that combo.

Did you and Bill SAS 513 order your Swampies together?:beer:

HOLY HELL! I guess you do like 'em.

Can you describe the tonal differences you hear between the necks? How about with the Swamp Ash? I'm a big fan of Swamp Ash, in general, and would love to hear that combo.

They all have a kind of chime and a strat like coo in the neck pup.

These are the tonal differences as I perceive them:

The 513 Rosewood has a slightly scooped mids with ringing piano like lows.
The 513 is a warm mid range instrument with lots of harmonic bloom. It's the wild child of the 513 family.
The 513 with a maple neck has the warmth of the 513 with less harmonic bloom with an extended top end. It has a little bit strat like junk.
The 513 Swamp Ash has a bright biting highs and tight lows. It's the brightest the family. If the 513 was the Les Paul of the family, this one's the Super Strat, and it has got even more strat like junk. This one is also a different animal in the way it behaves. All 513's in the family have a sweet spot in the clear/vintage humbucking bucking mode except the Swamp Ash. The Swamp Ash's is in the modern/full humbucking mode.

Did you and Bill SAS 513 order your Swampies together?:beer:
No. The first Swamp Ash 513's of the limited run were Seafoam Green. Mine's the first that came to Washington Music Center. Chances are Bill got one of the early ones.

Thanks for the comparisons. The first 513 I played had a really beautiful figured IRW neck. I just fell in love with the bell-like tone. When I finally pulled the finances together, it was gone. So, I ordered mine and was told the IRW neck wasn't an option at that time. I am very happy with how mine turned out, but still long for that rosewood neck--just not at the expense of my current 513! One of these days...

Back