2024-Updated Core Custom 24-08?

Interesting, but I'm bit concerned about how well TCI pickups can handle harder rock/metal tones...sure I saw a performance of T-Pain (don't laugh, he can actually sing quite well) covering Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" with the guitarist playing a MEV and getting a good Iommi-esque tone, and as Ola Englund's Will It Chug? YouTube series has shown, pretty much anything can do heavier sounds when paired with the right amp, but will it feel right to play harder music on a more "eclectic"-focused instrument?

Oh well, there are 6 years worth of CU24-08s with full-sized humbuckers that won't magically disappear if/when this takes over (though they might go up in value depending on how it's received).
The 85/15's which the cu24 usually come with aren't really high output. Often people say the bridge is too weak. Overall PRS seems to be moving towards lower output pickups. The TCI set can rock pretty hard and are very versatile pickups. Has your experience with them been different? Just curious.

Looks like these buttons may be the new standard for all Core models? I guess we will find out come NAMM time. Does anyone know if PRS will be making their return to NAMM this year? Or are they out for good…

Interesting. This is the 2nd one of these that has been posted in the last week, or 10 days. I'd be ok with this, for sure. Still regret not grabbing one of the Brushstroke 24s when they were available.
I like that a lot! Looks like dream Paul’s guitar with TCI…and 24 frets!
One thing I do regret to selling my brushstroke 24.

Looks like these buttons may be the new standard for all Core models? I guess we will find out come NAMM time. Does anyone know if PRS will be making their return to NAMM this year? Or are they out for good…
I would be surprised; no one cares for NAMM any more. It is a relict of the past, like CDs or watching TV

The 85/15's which the cu24 usually come with aren't really high output. Often people say the bridge is too weak. Overall PRS seems to be moving towards lower output pickups. The TCI set can rock pretty hard and are very versatile pickups. Has your experience with them been different? Just curious.
None of the PRS dealers in my area have a MEV available for me to try. But I did feel a little differently after watching this video:

It doesn't surprise me that PRS might be heading toward lower output pickups, the mainstream music world seems headed in a direction that has more to do with Nile Rodgers and the Edge than Eddie Van Halen and Slash as far as guitar tones go, but also there seems to be more "letting the amp do the work" or use of pedals for overdrive/distortion.

FWIMBW, I played a CE24 through a Blackstar HT and it sounded to my ears as powerful as my old Standard 24 with the Vintage Bass and HFS combo.

I am definitely not a fan of those tuner buttons. I much prefer the shape of the PII and PIII buttons over these. I am also not a real fan of the tuner Sergio posted. I wonder how long these will stick around this time. I also prefer metal buttons, not plastic.

I am definitely not a fan of those tuner buttons. I much prefer the shape of the PII and PIII buttons over these. I am also not a real fan of the tuner Sergio posted. I wonder how long these will stick around this time. I also prefer metal buttons, not plastic.

Same, as long as they can be changed it’s not a deal breaker.

Same with the NF53, it should have gotten the Fiore and MK tuners

Very interesting! I think this combination makes a LOT of sense (at least for me) - the Paul's Guitar pickups in a Custom 2408.

I was thinking of possibly a Paul's Guitar or Modern Eagle V to go for something with these pickups again. I had a Paul's Guitar in 2020, and liked it.

I seem to have a disdain for the timbre of tone of Guitars with Maple Necks, pretty universally. I am a tried and true traditionalist for a PRS with the Gibson'ish formula of Woods, Mahogany Body, Mahogany Neck and Rosewood Board - any deviation at all from that doesn't usually end well for me. Usually I have an initially reaction of liking something different, then later I fairly quickly tire of it. That goes for about anything, Maple Necks, Korina/Black Limba Bodies and/or Necks (Edited, Darn You Autocorrect!), even Ebony Boards. I found the Paul's Guitar and the versatility of the 408 pickup switching to be about as far as I would want to deviate from that traditional PRS Formula based on the Gibson side of the Wood equation. I found the tones of the Paul's Guitar to be good for me for some slightly "thinner" more focused sort of Fendery sort of tones for Jimi Hendrix sort of things, for me and my narrow tastes.

As I was playing my new Custom 24 yesterday, I felt like the Custom 24 feel has more of a "vibe" for Hendrixy sort of things, with the longer feeling neck more so away from the body, and the Pattern Thin Neck Carve, much more so than a more compact feeling 22 Fret PRS with a Pattern Neck Carve. And then when I think about taking that and going one further step in having the Paul's TCI pickups and the 408 switching in a Custom 24, that makes total sense to me.

Last edited:
It was these two side angle photos for the guitar originally posted on this thread that also reinforced to me that more so Fendery Vibe of this new model derivation, the thinner body and longer neck of the Custom 24, combined with those pickups.

UWQbqPg.jpg

zmxU8WY.jpg

Those pictures just scream to me to pick up that guitar and start paying some Hendrix stuff! :)

I would agree the bridge is a little weaker than it should be compared to the neck.

I tried a set and my two complaints were bridge pickup is overpowered by neck pickup and bridge pickup was bland.

Even with being a hard rock/metal guy myself, I think I may have to check one of the revised ones out to compare against my 35th Anniversary Core 24-08. As with others, I'm not crazy about the look of the new tuning buttons.

Back