2017 SpEculation thread.

sergiodeblanc

I always give this dude a hard time 'cause... I'm a jerk.

However, jump ahead to 3:00

He is a PRS dealer and I snagged this from another forum, not sure if it's cool to post but..
Uh, yeah.... "revamping the SE line"? :cool:

Allegedly we're gonna hear an announcement in the middle of Rocktober?

After the last couple of SE models came out I didn't think they could do much more to improve the line, what're we gonna get? Locking tuners? Carved tops? New pups? More models?

I'm pretty geeked if this is true.

Carved tops and better electronics would be the dog bollacks!

Im wondering if they would do carved tops? Seems like it'd be a questionable idea considering the S2 line. World Music is surely capable of doing them, look at the Schecter and LTD stuff they make.

I think it's definitely in the realm of possibility. Maybe not violin tops but definitely more beveled. They are already way further ahead of ESP LTD models and anything schecter puts out though. It would be icing on the cake

Sweetwater is selling the Zach Myers and Santana SE's at a reduced price. I was told that the vintage sunburst ZM was discontinued. Be interesting to see what the changes will be...

The hit SE's always take is the nut and tuners. Maybe they are using better nut material and a locking tuner?

I think that'd be a real smart and practical move.

I saw that yesterday as well Serge. Could be interesting, I'm in want to know mode now !!!

Me too. I swore I'd not buy another SE after my 4th one, but man... If they update the Santana to 24 frets to get it a wee bit closer to the core spec. I'd be toast.

Reactions: CVS
I think that'd be a real smart and practical move.

Me too. I swore I'd not buy another SE after my 4th one, but man... If they update the Santana to 24 frets to get it a wee bit closer to the core spec. I'd be toast.
I'm trying to save for the biggy PS but that would definitely test my Won't power as I don't have a lot of Will power!!!

I have a sad about the 7-stringers.

That said, I have 8 (just bought two red ones, so I'm still following a pattern: two blacks, two purples, two green amethysts, and now two red ones. I know of at least one amber that I can pick up, need to find a second one to match it, because I still have pickup combinations I want to try.

And yeah, I'm going to guess carved tops. I strongly suspect World can handle carved tops.

Last edited:
I recently noticed an interesting SE headstock design (a Holcomb model) shown off at Facebook's PRS Owners Worldwide group. It didn't looked like an "DIY" veneer or foil. That depicted guitar had PRSh signature likewise S2 and higher model line, the SE sign was right under the signature.
Short after this post was announced it was deleted. A certain time later it was re-issued without that headstock pic.

I think whatever plans they have for their SE line is closely linked to how they feel about the S2 line in house.

Did the S2 line meet or even surpass their expectations?
If the answer to this is yes and the S2 line remains unchanged I do not see much room for substantial upgrades to the SE line.

Looking at the success of the SE ZM, BM, MH and CR signature models I do not think they will narrow the gap between the 2 lines any further.

Just my $ 0.02 ;-)

I've been trying to wean myself off of SEs as well, although I still have a "need" for a 277 SH, so hopefully I'll snag one of those before long...

And yes, the one thing stopping me from buying an SE Santana is the 22 frets: the Santana model needs to have 24 frets, IMHO. So I have a core Santana on my GAS list (but not in the top 3). An SE that more closely matches core? I'm in!

Back