2017 SE Models - Disappointed

Nicky M.

As a HUGE SE fan I was a bit disappointed with the 2017 lineup - Still no new Bernie Marsden, the SE245 is only available in a choice of 2 sunbursts?!? Gone are the cool colors - No gold, no black, no candy apple red... Thankfully there's Ebay, Reverb...

Color doesn`t affect the sound (except that blue guitars always sound better). I`ll be curious to know what you think after you play them.

Well, as PRSh says, we only keep building them if you keep buying them. If the Bernie was discontinued, sales must have dropped below a useful-to-PRS threshold. It might come back, who knows?

As for colors...PRS might expand the color palette if they see the demand. I too would prefer a few more vibrant colors, but I also must admit I wouldn't buy an SE CU24 just because it came in Eriza Verde. I am eyeballing some core SC designs, though...

Actually, my red and white EGs are equally fantastic. :) My rant isn't about the sound - It's about the finish options. Look - They're PRS SEs and they're all built beautifully, finished beautifully and sound great. But (regarding the 245) it's like, "Hmmm - Should I get the sunburst or maybe the sunburst"? And when there's NOS ones online in metallic gold, candy apple red and black - That's where I'm heading. Believe me, some of the discontinued SEs like the Bernie and Korina rival what's coming out of Stevensville. Perhaps the cool finishes have been passed on to the "step up" S2 models. And everybody knows the most important thing is getting in front of that mirror, guitar slung over your shoulder - And if it looks rockin' - Yer good to go! :D Much love to my good friend Mr.Smith, who I'll probably rant to when we speak. And while I'm at it: Winter's a comin' and anyone caught wearing a parka/winter jacket/coat with shorts and flip flops will immediately face a firing squad. 'Saw another offender last night (windy, rainy and freezing) - Who's the genius that came up with this fashion statement?!?

Ehh... More colors will come out eventually, they always do (for most models at least).

..And while I'm at it: Winter's a comin' and anyone caught wearing a parka/winter jacket/coat with shorts and flip flops will immediately face a firing squad. 'Saw another offender last night (windy, rainy and freezing) - Who's the genius that came up with this fashion statement?!?

Hey now, some of us just aren't committed to letting summer go quite yet. I've been rockin' a knit cap and flip flops 'cause socks are too hard to put on.

Probably the calm before the storm. I imagine they are gearing up for a new line or wave of new stuff. I just picked up a Holcomb SE and wow, if this is what they can do from Korea now, I'd imagine there's more to come in the way of features.

The other thing that's always puzzled me is that the cheaper Standard SE 245 has beautiful neck binding while the more expensive SE 245 does not. I also just found 2 of the UK limited run of gold finished Bernies, NOS for 2 friends that were looking for them - A small miracle!

The SE standards are Indonesian made to take advantage of cheaper labor. I had one for a minute in a trade. Great guitar for the money, best I ever played. THe Koreans are better, and the US are better still IMHO. I`ve never seen an ugly PRS. Personally, I only keep guitars that I like the sound of. Color is second ((unless they`re blue).

Brand management is such a crappy job since you also ways have to manage feature and the value proposition vs. multiple product lines and margins. I think they did ok with the better pickups but I would have swapped a better nut for the nicer logo.

Brand management is such a crappy job since you also ways have to manage feature and the value proposition vs. multiple product lines and margins. I think they did ok with the better pickups but I would have swapped a better nut for the nicer logo.

If you're putting on any logo, changing it costs almost nothing. A better nut could cost a lot over a production run. It would have been nice though...

If I were getting a new 2017 SE, I'd go for either that crimson red or the trampas green. My 2014 SE is trampas green, but it has a black back instead of natural. Looks pretty cool.

My next guitar will be a CE.. waiting until the 2017's are out (I was told late November) to see if there are any worthwhile upgrades and/or colors. Will probably end up with Trampas Green on it too (and will sell my current SE), as the Ruby Red is a bit too bright for my tastes... and whale blue is too dark. Faded whale blue would be awesome, but I've never seen it on anything less than a Core model.

Back