SE semi-hollow : 2017 vs 2018 ?

Colors

Hi, I'm new here but I hope to be a PRS-guitarist very soon !
I wish to buy a SE 22 semi-hollow and models 2017 AND 2018 are available, the 2017 for a little better price (100 $).
What are the differences between this models, apart colors ? Your tip ?
Thank you.

All I can tell you is that I have a 2017 SE CU22 SH and it's a nice guitar. As far as specs, I think the 17 and 18 are the same. Mine has the 85/15 S pickups, which are clear and articulate. It stays in tune well, and has excellent fret work. Mine was made by WMI in Korea.

My tip? Play both and see/hear if you can tell a difference. Then go with the one you like the best.

One of the years prior to 2018, the SECU22 Semi had a stoptail rather than a trem, and a toggle switch, the 2018 has a trem and blade switch.

Personally, I would go for the 2017, as I like stoptail bridges and the 3 way toggle, but that’s a decision only you can make!

Great answers, thank you !

andy, now, the differences seem so obvious to me when I look at the pictures, I'm dazed and confused :)

mark, I can not play on SE models, there are none in any store in my region, only very more expansive models. I wish a semi-hollow and I had tried a Fender Tele modern player (nice) and a Guild M75 (wooo), both with P90, but my preference go to this PRS (I'm in love with the clear sounds of the demonstration by Brian Ewald on the PRS YT channel)

PS : is grey really grey, or a little bit green like the pics from mark ?

I had both, with just recently selling the 2018. I personally liked the '18 better due to the 85/15s pickups, but they are both great guitars. Just couldn't bond with the wide thin necks and have since found bliss (for now) with the S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow. Good luck!

Sorry to complicate things, but my 2 cents, consider the Zach Myers as well. I played them side by side with the SECU22 semi, and while the Custom was good, the ZM blew it away in terms of resonance.

SE Zach Myers is excellent. I have one weighing in at 6.5 lbs and it sounds sweet. It doesn't have the new 85/15 pickups or any coil split/tap capability though.

Back