2 x Amp = x

László

Too Many Notes
2 (Amp) = x

So if I have two amps, will I sound twice as good or twice as bad? Wait, don't answer that question. ;)

Seriously, I'm thinking of unleashing my Texas side on the world and adding a 30 watter with the initials DG for layering and doing different stuff than I do with my main amp (HXDA).

And when I say "thinking," what I really mean is "scheming."

Because the decision itself is kind of a no-brainer. I've gone and listened to every clip I could find, and it's clearly one of those great amps that every decent studio must have.

And by "every decent studio," I really mean my decent studio. Which will be more decent than ever with one of these units of amplification added to its capability.

How can anyone who loves amps not get this amp? It sounds gorgeous! And what if PRS decides to stop making it at some point and I don't have one? Well, ladies and gentlemen, I would be screwed. And I do not want to be screwed. At least, not that way. So it is time to "pull the trigger." "Bite the bullet." "Shoot the shot." And think of more gun analogies.

Because this, after all, is America, and that's what we do.

Last edited:
Sometimes talking ourselves into something is…well, …kinda easy!:biggrin:

Enjoy the new amp!

Yeah Les, I think you've gotta get one. I mean, it would be wrong not to, right? I didn't want to say anything, but I've been wondering for a while how you've been running that place with only one amp.

Disclaimer: I'm an enabler, and may have just made all of that up on the spot.

But you should still do it!

My dealer has one of the first 20 with the NOS tubes, so of course I'm gonna do it! I'd be foolish not to, right? ;)

Yeah Les, I think you've gotta get one. I mean, it would be wrong not to, right? I didn't want to say anything, but I've been wondering for a while how you've been running that place with only one amp.!

Here's how:

The HXDA is really versatile, great cleans, nice gain, works well with pedals. Between the amp, my pedalboard, and other effects I have around here, no problems at all. If anything really, really unusual comes up, I sometimes layer in a software model.

Session guys often bring their own rigs, but the way things are these days, they just as often do their sessions at their own places, and send me files.

So any amp that's here is something that's only for my own sessions. But I want to do some layering with different sounds, something I used to do when I had both a Two-Rock and a Roccaforte Rockie 30 Watt with EL84s. My son took the Rockie to his studio in LA, which is why I only have one here.

I've migrated from Two-Rock amps to PRS, and not regretted it, they work really well for my playing style.

Thank you my enabler friends! :)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have 'set your sights' and you're 'locked and loaded' in your decision (unless you're just on here to 'shoot your mouth off'). You don't want to be 'under the gun' to pick one up if they go out of production.

"For those about to rock... FIRE! We salute you." :rock:

Then come back and explain to me how I always talk myself out of decisions like this!?! :confused:

Sounds like you have 'set your sights' and you're 'locked and loaded' in your decision (unless you're just on here to 'shoot your mouth off'). You don't want to be 'under the gun' to pick one up if they go out of production.

"For those about to rock... FIRE! We salute you." :rock:

Oooo, great gun stuff! :congrats:

Then come back and explain to me how I always talk myself out of decisions like this!?! :confused:

I do the same thing! But the DG with the NOS tubes is just too tempting.

So...your studio will be higher caliber with the new amp?

(C'mon - did anyone​ think I'd resist?)

Aw shoot, guys.

I just needed some ammunition to 'splain to the spouse.

The amp will be the bomb.

Last edited:
I've always been a big fan of blending amps. So i definitely say do it!

Is it there yet?

Bad news...the DG amp is a matched set with the special DG cab. One doesn't go without the other. It's gotta be done. :vroam:

:D

Is it there yet?

Bad news...the DG amp is a matched set with the special DG cab. One doesn't go without the other. It's gotta be done. :vroam:

:D

S'why I said "mos' definitely" earlier. Must have both.

Not here yet, but the deal is being done.

On our most recent record, on various parts I ran one of my heads into one side of my 4x12 and the other head into the other side, and between my DD-20 in stereo mode and the Strymon Mobius, I got some seriously killer stereo fx going on. So, yes, two amps are better than one, especially in the studio.

I wouldn't run the both at the same time. Not my thing! Separate takes sounds better to me.

I like to layer them. I've had as many as 6 amps here, but that's too many tones for my taste. One or two are fine.

Back