12 Amp comparison by Tim Pierce

I still believe that power differences (varying voltage levelss and dirty power) are the main reasons our amps sound better one day than the next.

I'm glad I am not the only person who notices this. I never put it together with voltage fluctuations though!

The reason it's more critical to at least some older amps is they just use a voltage multiplier to get the plat voltage correct, and are expecting voltages from teh dayes off yore.

I think there was an Uncle Doug video on the topic where I learned about this.

There’s also the heat factor. My old Boogie started getting flakey in this regard during summer outdoor gigs, which is why I started a search for a replacement so many years ago. Nothing bad, but different. That’s annoying. Ended up with the Super Dallas and investing in my own personal tent, even if the cheap skate venue management didn’t provide one. You know...$10k in equipment to get paid $120 for 4 hours of work.

You know...$10k in equipment to get paid $120 for 4 hours of work.

Ever since the musician’s union (AFM) got weak everywhere, gigs that used to pay well now pay nothing.

The last band I played with in the ‘00s got less than my 1960s high school band got for gigs, and much less than my ‘69 - early 70s college band.

But back then the AFM had some clout with club owners. Now, well, things suck.

I bought a brand new Firebird 400 in 1969 with money I made in one year of part-time gigging, paid cash for it.

Try buying a new car for cash today with one year of gig money, unless you’re a rock star.

i'm fascinated that he has such a confined space that his guitars aren't all beat up.

but always great to hear Tim play and talk about it. i remember an Experience where PRSh gave him a guitar and Tim walked around all day playing it

Back