ZM Help

Bradley Gavel

Hey guys I've been wanting to install HipShot locking tuners onto my 2015 Trampas ZM, however I'm not the best or smartest when it comes to this stuff. I managed to put them on my Tremonti but those holes were already 10mm (where I believe the ZM is 8.5mm with a bushing? I think it's called) so it was very easy.

Will the 8.5mm HipShot tuners drop in without much trouble or will there be work required?

Part 2
---------

I have the new blue ZM on the way and I'd like locking tuners on that also, if i had to ream out a slightly bigger post hole, would/could it damage the finish?

Thanks guys :D

Reaming out the holes will cause damage. It may be covered up by the tuners, but tread lightly. No chance of finding a drop in?

I know I've read some posts saying Gotoh SD90's are a drop in but there's SL, MG, MGT, I'm not sure what direction to go in

From another thread and supporting kluson revolutions:
Installed kluson revolution locking non collared today. Super easy. Even replaced the bushing. Removing the bushings was easy (the old trick of rock a screwdriver inside of it for 5 seconds per youtube) and then quick reaming for 2 seconds for the replacement bushings and it was good to go. I did not have to be concerned about cracking any poly finish since my guitar is satin. I advise to take caution with reaming if yours does have poly finish, but reaming is easier than using a clamp to force the bushings in. The included screws are too thin so I did use the stock. If I find my spare spray paint can of black paint I’ll do the screw heads real quick
2tr7huW.jpg

WH2qcEv.jpg

Overall I enjoy them quite a bit more than the stock. Reminds me of the locking tuners that are on modern fenders that are rock solid and buttery smooth. I imagine this will work the same for both Zach Myers, Paul’s guitars, and the McCartys with vintage non locking tuners. Exact same footprints. The Klusons come in nickel, gold, chrome and black. If I can install them I know anybody can.

Just reread your post.
He’s out of nickel currently but has gold in stock.

https://www.johnmannsguitarvault.co...king-Vintage-Tuner-Set---Nickel-x42807257.htm

I have the gotoh sd-90’s on a couple USA guitars and like them. Some people hate em. Can’t confirm proper fit on the ZM.

I second the gotoh sd90. Awesome tuners and I really prefer them without the thumbwheel. Yes the thumbwheels are a little more convenient than a coin but without them they have a cooler vintage vibe. For fitment contact Kenny at Philadelphia luthier supply. He's awesome!

You can contact hipshot and tell them you want to install on ZM model. They may be able to help.

Agree with this. They make differnet variations. I was looking at them for some guitar and they had a differnet variation for. It was more expensive to go through them but helpful. I did find a dealer through reverb or ebay that was able to get me the same ones for cheaper.

To echo what I've already said.. reaming is as easy and not something to be afraid of using the handheld going slow. It's almost as simple as sharpening a pencil in reverse. Albeit a more expensive pencil ;)

Phillip MacKnight reviews the new ZM and has a recommendation for replacement tuners in this recent YouTube video. I don’t recall how far in that advice is but, IMO, it’s a good demo that’s worth watching.
Hope this helps...

Last edited:
Has anyone out there tried using the phase 3 or even the silver sky’s tuners on their Zach Myers? I just got a 2021 and would really like locking tuners for easy string changes and to keep everything aesthetically consistent.

Has anyone out there tried using the phase 3 or even the silver sky’s tuners on their Zach Myers? I just got a 2021 and would really like locking tuners for easy string changes and to keep everything aesthetically consistent.
You can use the Phase III, but you're going to have to ream the tuner holes to make them work. I did this on my SE Bernie.

Phillip MacKnight reviews the new ZM and has a recommendation for replacement tuners in this recent YouTube video. I don’t recall how far in that advice is but, IMO, it’s a good demo that’s worth watching.
Hope this helps...

OH I've literally watched this video 100 times but was too mesmerized by the guitar instead of listening to Phil LOL I love that guy, he's the best

I think all the ones suggested here are far superior than the stock tuners. I tried to use them. Really did. After breaking 2 strings on them and cutting myself I was done. Never have those issues on quality tuners, locking or not.

I'm kind of in the same boat with mine. previous owner put a set of Guyker vintage locking tuners that are like $20 a set off AliExpress...they hold tune for the most part, but I've broken new strings after changes and they feel like turning an old car's steering wheel with no hydraulic assistance. also not sure what their ratio is but they are quite jumpy...anyways

I've been looking at these Schaller's, I know I've seen pictures of them installed on a ZM before, so they should be a drop in. I need to get a caliper to measure, but they seem to fit and are a bit cheaper than the Gotoh's / Kluson's. EDIT: the post size is 9.7mm, so they might not fit the ZM without reaming.

According to McKnight's video these are the ones that fit, right? Gotoh SD90-SL MGT

Back