Your best score of 2023

oh-damn.gif

I only scored one rig this year so that's a no brainer for me. But it's already in my other (NGD) post so I won't do it again here. I only crashed once at the race track this season and met a cute EMT...does that count? Er, no I only answered the required medical questions so don't think anything more on that...

Hmm, I can’t say I got any great deals in 2023, relative to what items normally sell for. But, I did sort of hit the jackpot in terms of value for $ spent, in a ‘66 Super Reverb. I got a decent price, maybe a hair less than some dealers. What makes this truly special, to me, is that it has the original CTS Alnico 10’s - maybe reconed, but they sound amazing. I’m becoming a speaker nerd more and more each day, and the CTS 10’s are it when it comes to the Super. The combination of the circuit and those speakers (and especially the speakers) just cause this amp to sound great every single time I plug in, regardless of where I set the controls (silly extremes excluded, of course), and it takes overdrive so naturally, which has been a struggle for me with modern versions of American speakers. Maybe it’s just because they’ve been beaten up so much over the years.

So, considering that I got a freshly serviced and all original ‘66 for the price that a new reissue costs, and the CTS 10’s just blow the Jensen reissues away, that was a big score.

I also got a Friedman Smallbox, and love it, as well. No deals, but a righteous amp.

Back