Yeah baby! That's what I'm talking about!

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Just arrived all the way from the UK. Bernie Marsden #1 is waiting for them. Abraxas!

Maybe I'll give her that as a nickname tho I'm not really a guitar namer.

Here's the unpackaging....

They include a free set of RotoSounds. Strangely twangy sounding strings. I kind of like 'em.

All right.

Get ready...

Yeah baby! That's what I'm talking about!

They'll be going in this Bernie...

And it'll look a bit like my Bernie with these double cream Antiquitys.

Last edited:
Bareknuckle make great pickups. I met Tim at a guitar show about 20 years ago and bought some Boss pickups for my telecaster. They're still in that guitar and also have some in my replica paisley '68 tele. Great company. Can't wait to hear how they sound!

Bareknuckle make great pickups. I met Tim at a guitar show about 20 years ago and bought some Boss pickups for my telecaster. They're still in that guitar and also have some in my replica paisley '68 tele. Great company. Can't wait to hear how they sound!
Well if they sound like this I'll be one happy campster...

Last edited:
Well it's a ways away. July 4 weekend. But I'll be playing with my brother Bobby Walker in the big bash in the City Park "bandshell". He's headlining again. Famous blues guy in these parts.

I haven't gigged in almost a year. Got sick instead. But if can stand, I can play.

Called me and said he's ready to try a PRS! After giving me a rash of crud about me playing them instead of my old Gibson and Fenders, he now wants one. Asked me to pick him one to play that day.

He's a Strat guy so I might just make him play a Silver Sky just to hear him say "What a great guitar!"

Probably bring the Bernie too.

Amp wise, I dunno.

Love to hear my HDRX 20 and Matchless/Celestion G12H30 Heritage cab with a band...but I know how to get a good sound with a band with my now almost 60 year old Deluxe Reverb. Also has a G12H30 Heritage.

Might be a safer bet just cuz I know what it's going to do.

I've got BK Abraxas in my S2 Cu 22 Semi Hollow and LOVE the tone!
I have BKP Nantucket P90's in my SE Sopbar Singlcut. Love 'em!

This is my first set of BKP humbuckers.

I'll be doing the install today.

Really want to like them as much as the 57/08's already in one of my Bernies. Double cream Antiquitys in the other Bernie.

Should be a fun Battle Royale!

The Abraxas will be going in the Bernie in the middle.

My Knaggs Severn X HSS has a BNP Aftermath humbucker with coil split in the bridge and Fralin Blues Special singles in the middle and neck positions. Love love love that guitar! It has moved to a level approaching Number One!

OK. All installed and adjusted to perfection.

I compared all four guitars:

Stripped 58 with 57/08 pickups
Bernie Marsden with 57/08 pickups
Bernie Marsden with Duncan Antiquity double cream pickups
Bernie Marsden with BKP Abraxas double cream pickups

The Abraxas pickups are great. The neck pickup is strong and full, but transparent and clear when i want it to be.

The bridge Abraxas pickup is hotter than vintage. But even though it's 14K it's not quite so hot as a Duncan JB nor does it have that slightly nasal honk or sometimes piercing treble of the JB. It's not as hot as the Dragon I or Suhr HSS+ either.

The Duncan Antiquitys, after playing the Abraxas set, I wish were a little hotter. I wish the bridge pickup was stronger and fuller. They still sound great. But now they have some stiff competition.

The 57/08 pickups get the WIN. The neck pickup is a little warmer than the Abraxas or Antiquity but sounds just as good.

The bridge 57/08 pickup is higher in output than the Antiquity but not as hot as the Abraxas. But the 57/08 sounds fuller and has more bass. It's hot enough to do what I want it to. I guess I just prefer the sound of a great '57 PAF and that's what the 57/08 reminds me of.

The 57/08's are my fave, followed by the BKP Abraxas, followed by the Duncan Antiquitys.

All three sets are GREAT pickups with great tone. If I had to pick one it'd be the 57/08's.

But I wouldn't want to lose the Abraxas set. They're keepers.

Time will tell with the Antiquitys. Double Cream Antiquitys are impossible to get these days and sought after.

Last edited:
Back