WTB: 85/15 set squibbons for 2018 CU24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaninsjca

New guitar on the way had a pickup swap, I want to put back to stock. PRS won’t sell these but will install them for you for $550 if you ship your guitar to them. Trying to find a pulled set instead.

Thank You,

Sean

Are these the pickups that are found in the current CE24? Been thinking of pulling mine out

Are these the pickups that are found in the current CE24? Been thinking of pulling mine out
Yes, they should be as long as they are the square bobbins and not the old style. Are you interested in selling them, if so, how much are you asking? I could also offer a trade, I have a set of Tremonti square bobbins on the way to me that should be here Thursday.

Yes, they should be as long as they are the square bobbins and not the old style. Are you interested in selling them, if so, how much are you asking? I could also offer a trade, I have a set of Tremonti square bobbins on the way to me that should be here Thursday.

The ones in the CE are different from what comes in the Custom. You can make them work, but if the idea is to return your Custom to stock, this is not the way to go.

The ones in the CE are different from what comes in the Custom. You can make them work, but if the idea is to return your Custom to stock, this is not the way to go.

Pretty sure you’re thinking of the s2 which uses the 85/15S which is slightly different. As far as I can tell all US square bobbins 85/15 pickups are the same and the s2 and SE use 85/15S pickups, but like I said i could be wrong as I haven’t looked they deep tho.

Pretty sure you’re thinking of the s2 which uses the 85/15S which is slightly different. As far as I can tell all US square bobbins 85/15 pickups are the same and the s2 and SE use 85/15S pickups, but like I said i could be wrong as I haven’t looked they deep tho.

There are two USA versions of the 85/15, both with the squabbin design:

Customs (and anything else with a five-way blade switch) get a set with red, white, black, bare wires. These sets are reverse polarity for hum cancelling in position 4 (the two inner coils in parallel)

CE (and anything else with a three-way switch and push/pull) get a set with a black wire wrapped in a braided bare wire, and a white wire. I'm pretty sure these sets are NOT reverse polarity.

Then you have the 85/15 S that are used on SE guitars, which have the typical sort of open coils. Red, white, black, green, bare wires. NOT reverse polarity. They have nickel-silver baseplates with G&B branding, so they're very easy to tell apart from the USA versions.

Customs (and anything else with a five-way blade switch) get a set with red, white, black, bare wires. These sets are reverse polarity for hum cancelling in position 4 (the two inner coils in parallel)

CE (and anything else with a three-way switch and push/pull) get a set with a black wire wrapped in a braided bare wire, and a white wire. I'm pretty sure these sets are NOT reverse polarity.

Then you have the 85/15 S that are used on SE guitars, which have the typical sort of open coils. Red, white, black, green, bare wires. NOT reverse polarity. They have nickel-silver baseplates with G&B branding, so they're very easy to tell apart from the USA versions.

Cool to know. Surprising as I was sure there would be some cost savings to using the same pickups and just wiring them to different switches.

Do you know of any wiring diagrams that would allow for the 3-way CE 85/15s to be wired into a 5-way CU24 switch?

Do you know of any wiring diagrams that would allow for the 3-way CE 85/15s to be wired into a 5-way CU24 switch?

I did this one a while back.

If you get a set like that, you may want to get some heat shrink tubing to cover up most of the bare braided wires. That will make sure they don't touch anything that would cause a short.

vSRdnaw.jpg

I did this one a while back.

If you get a set like that, you may want to get some heat shrink tubing to cover up most of the bare braided wires. That will make sure they don't touch anything that would cause a short.

That is awesome. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back