Would you rather...

Would you rather...

• get a 'mint' guitar with 'first 500' case for a hefty premium and WITHOUT warranty

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MichaelS

I'm here for the free kool-aid...
... pay a premium to get a 'first 500' case and lose the warranty,
or, have the warranty and a gig bag.

Based on my perception of PRS warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but only original buyers from authorized dealers retain warranty right?

Anyways, starting to see Silver Sky with cases in 'Mint' not 'Brand New' on Reverb with hefty premiums, which inspired this poll...

I don't normally buy into warranties, because my expectation is that the item I am buying should not have the kind of flaws that would require warranty service to begin with. But in this case, I will forego the case and take the New Guitar with the warranty, and it doesn't matter which guitar it is, I'll buy a case later on.

In this case, (oh, pun!), I'd opt for the warranty. Not that I feel I'd need it, but because I'm not a case guy. All of mine, with the exception of one, are in storage. The little tag on the SS means nothing, to me.

buy both....then sell the used guitar in a new gig bag

So, just checked Reverb. Two of the three "used" SS are from the same troll. Bonus, he's local. I offered two-thirds what he's asking. What I should really do is enlist the help of some shady friends to back door him and find out where he lives. Then, pick up Sergio and break some windows! Or, at the very least, put a flaming bag off dog poo on his front porch.

So, just checked Reverb. Two of the three "used" SS are from the same troll. Bonus, he's local. I offered two-thirds what he's asking. What I should really do is enlist the help of some shady friends to back door him and find out where he lives. Then, pick up Sergio and break some windows! Or, at the very least, put a flaming bag off dog poo on his front porch.
I'd drive down from Buffalo just to video that :D

My guitars rarely leave the house, so I prefer the lighter/easier access of the gig bag over the PRS case. Plus warranty’s for peace of mind.

Also anyone find cases hold damp/coldness from warehouse storage and just tarnish your pickups even after trying to air them?

Even though I have a case with a plaque, I'd take the warranty. I'd hope not to ever need the warranty, but that would be more important to me. Especially after seeing the gig bag.

hehe...
I figured, the results would come in like this, but didn't want to influence the poll.

it's 3 out of 4 now, and there's a case by itself too now. I didn't even realize that it's the regular case with a plate screwed onto it. I could live without the plate, but it's nice to get a case instead of a gig bag for the same price. I have gig bags to take guitars around, but if it's not in a stand, for storing I'd go with case.

PRS could have charged extra for case with plate and drop price for the gig-bag versions. In essence the gig-bag versions are $200 more expensive, that alone would bug me if I bought one later on. Not a strat guy though, so not an issue.

Have you seen the gig bag? That's not a smart-aleck response - http://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/the-official-silver-sky-thread.29556/page-51. It's like a tank. Still not a case, but nothing like what I first picture when I hear 'gig bag'.

I haven't. Looks good. I like the headstock wrap flap thingy. Is it like my CE bag otherwise though or even sturdier?
Just have a personal preference for cases (not the plaque though). I'm paranoid like that. My kids sit on anything.

Back