Why the recessed knobs and switch?

mixmkr

I'm new enough around here to be slapped..and probably repeating decades old questions...
But is it a strong preference? I understand grain issues and all with the SE and such... but I have a hard enough of a time grabbing a push/pull pot anyway. It looks nice...but is there more I'm missing?

I've always assumed it was just to show off a full thickness maple cap. Veneer can't be laid over hard edges so it's an effect you can only get when the flame or quilt goes the entire way through.

Yeah...that and beveled edges would do that.
I've just heard it expressed the other way and the SE tops were too thin

It may also be the best way to mount the controls on a deeply carved top. Otherwise, you'd have an angle between the top mounting surface and the underside of the top which isn't carved to match. Then you'd probably end up with the top washer only making contact on one side which would probably damage the finish once it was tight enough to stay put.

It may also be the best way to mount the controls on a deeply carved top. Otherwise, you'd have an angle between the top mounting surface and the underside of the top which isn't carved to match. Then you'd probably end up with the top washer only making contact on one side which would probably damage the finish once it was tight enough to stay put.
I think this is it in combination with how much higher the knobs would sit if they were mounted on the top without the carving.

Otherwise the knobs will be pointing in disparate directions.
images

Back