Which one to choose???

John H

Hi guys, I am close to owning my very first PRS guitar which I am so excited about, the only problem is I have no idea which one to go for. I recently sold my LP standard which I really loved, it had some serious balls and I could get properly stuck into that axe, the weight was a problem though and started to hurt my shoulder and neck, and it's not the greatest axe to sit and play with, very unbalanced. So I heard a lot of good things about the PRS and its versatility and ability to match or even beat the LP ballsy sound.

So I have found the following which I need to consider as my LP replacement.

1. CE24 This is brand new and is the exact colour I am looking for, dark grey maple, it's beautiful
  2. Studio This is second hand and the colour I like the least
  3. McCarty second hand apparently it's a 1998, this is not a bad colour, I could get used to it.

So which one should I go for?.

I will use this guitar to play blues, rock and heavy rock such as Gary Moore, Jo Banamasa, Pink Floyd, Alice N Chains, Pearl Jam, Dio etc.

Please can I have your input on which one to go for.

i'd go for the Mccarty in that case.
But you may want to check out the neck profiles on your options.
If you like the LP shape but would like to have a more balanced and less heavy guitar then have a look at a PRS single cut.

I'm thinking the studio has the most tonal range, but hang on until you find the exact one you want, no point in rushing a purchase and then regretting 3 months later,

My advice is play different models before jumping into the PRS fray. Had I done that I would have gotten a P24 instead of a custom 24. The neck profiles, while similar do feel quite different so give those a go as well. I myself came from the Les Paul world and never realized how much I didn't like the neck of my Les Paul till I got a pattern regular neck.

If you can, try them out. I'd lean towards the McCarty, but all are good guitars and you'll forget all about your LP, once you get your hands on a PRS.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, appreciate it, from what I have researched on the net, it seems that the McCarty is the better one for my requirements,or tonal wise. I already have a John Mayer signature edition Strat and a Geaorge Lynch signature ESP so this should fit in somewhere in the middle, I think? We don't have many PRS's floating around here in South Africa, especially second hand so might just have to deal with the colour for now, it's not terrible but I can't see a second hand dark grey coming onto the market anytime soon. Can't Wait to play these babies to make final decision. I feel like a bloody child again before a birthday or something.

John H,
There are USA dealers that carry PRS guitars and will ship to South Africa. Also in Australia.
You said that but for the weight, you really like the LP. It sounds to me like you are a candidate for the 594.
Before you buy, you might want to research these and find one on Reverb, or through a US or other dealer that will ship to you. I know they are a bit more, but I know no one who has tried one that doesn't like it. I believe it is the LP of the PRS lineup, but it actually does more.
The weights have been in the mid 7 pound range to about 8.2, so that would help you out. In any event, take your time and think it through. You might surprise yourself. Best of luck in the hunt. It's half the fun. :)
Stephen

My McCarty Korina came from Dave's weighing 6.5 lbs. It's my lightest PRS. And it included a hardshell case.

Thanks for all the input, so now I have just found a Tremonti 10-top, this thing sounds like a bloody animal, really ballsy and power. Apparently the guy from Creed plays this model and was customised for his heavy style. So now its really between the McCarty and the Tremonti, gonna play the Tremont tmro. What are your thoughts on the Tremont?

I also went from playing LP's many years ago to PRS's. I am really gravitating towards the singlecuts again. I'd say the biggest differences between the two will be the neck profiles, pickups and trem vs no trem.

Necks: The Tremonti has a wide/thin (W/T) profile which I prefer. I quickly get used to the other profiles, but the W/T is my favorite coming from a LP with a 59 shaped neck. The McCarty will have a Wide Fat (W/F) profile. A little thicker and rounder to my feel. Not bad at all though.

Pickups: The Tremonti will have a little more aggressive or hotter pickups designed to shine with more modern rock styles. I have heard all styles played with them without any problems though. Just back the gain down on the amp to even it out. The sound may be a little more of a scooped sound with more pronounced highs and lows and lesser pronounced mids. The McCarty will be a little lower output designed for a more vintage sound with more pronounce mids compared to the Tremonti. Again, I've all styles played and played well with McCarty's.

You really have to play each and see which one you bond with. Tremonti's typically have trem and McCarty's typically have stoptails. I just picked up a stoptail Tremonti last week though. So there are exceptions. Good luck and happy hunting. It is worth it in the end.

John H,
There are USA dealers that carry PRS guitars and will ship to South Africa. Also in Australia.
You said that but for the weight, you really like the LP. It sounds to me like you are a candidate for the 594.
Before you buy, you might want to research these and find one on Reverb, or through a US or other dealer that will ship to you. I know they are a bit more, but I know no one who has tried one that doesn't like it. I believe it is the LP of the PRS lineup, but it actually does more.
The weights have been in the mid 7 pound range to about 8.2, so that would help you out. In any event, take your time and think it through. You might surprise yourself. Best of luck in the hunt. It's half the fun. :)
Stephen

Agree, but the LT pups are NOT going to work to out balls a LP. 57 08s are a must IMO.

This is a tricky question. I personally can't see a new ce24 going head to head with the LP. That's all subjective so.......

I have a 2000 mccarty. I love the feel of that beefy guitar but the Mccarty bridge PU was just there. I went through several pickup combos...5909s, HFS/VB, Ms, Gibson 500T, 8515s. Finally settled on 5909 bridge 8515 neck. To me it's perfect!

Now I love 5310 bridge PU so that with a mccarty neck would be cool. Studio would be incredibly versatile guitar and should be considered.

Only a singlecut can give a true LP tone. It’s just one of those things that no none has the will nor resources to research why. Try looking for a 594 SC semi hollow. That should mitigate the weight issue.

Back