What's your opinion on these specs?

Boz

Fellow PRS enthusiasts,
I'd very much like to get a poll of sorts, of your guys opinions on these specs, of another potential guitar I'm looking at purchasing. In the world of different materials, different woods, how those woods/materials interact or flow with each other, it can sometimes be a bit confusing to know if a specific guitar, other than the visual aspects of a specific combination, are preferable from a tone standpoint, playability standpoint, or other benefits.

Since I would prefer for this discussion to remain as much on the specific materials of the guitar, I'm not going to mention what year/model/top color/etc. it is, as I'd prefer for the focus to not be on visual aspects, and to not become biased in any way, which could possibly affect some opinions (unless someone can make a valid point as to why the specific model of the guitar matters, but in the mean time, I'll keep it undisclosed). What I WILL say, is that the type of music and playing style I tend to lean towards is rock/blues, a bit of hard rock, and throw in some smooth soloing. Not crazy fast metal stuff, more along the lines of rock/blues tempo solos.

So, to start, this guitar has some special or less common appointments on it that are not as typical with the model, hence what prompted me to bring this up. So essentially I'm just trying to determine if this specific guitar is worth choosing over a model with the standard or more common appointments on it. And I'm really hoping with your help, it will allow me to make a more confident decision between the two choices. Also, I'm not going to post my own personal feelings on these options, as I already have developed some of my own, and are more interested in what the group as a whole has to say. Here's the breakdown....

- Instead of typical mahogany body/neck, both are made of Korina

- Instead of rosewood fretboard, its ebony

- Instead of "standard" tuners, it has phase 3 locking tuners

- Instead of solid body, its a semi-hollow

- Instead of the two-piece bridge, it has the gen 3 tremelo bridge

So there it is. That should be enough information to prompt a solid discussion (at least I hope 😉). As I mentioned previously, I'm trying to determine if this guitar's specs are considered a "better choice," and/or more beneficial for the type of music I play as well as my playing style. With so many different PRS models and options out there, it can be overwhelming to try and finally decide on one. Hopefully someday I will be in a position where I have the ability to purchase multiple models/configurations, so these type of decisions will be less daunting and stressful, lol.

Thank you guys for all your help and continued support. This forum has been a huge help and tool for me that has been used to assist in multiple decisions on different things. Wish the best to everyone, and keep the music going! 😁

Last edited:
Here's the breakdown....

- Instead of typical mahogany body/neck, both are made of Korina
Korina will be a little brighter, more midrange on some models. Personal preference should dictate; I'd want to play-test the instrument before deciding.
- Instead of rosewood fretboard, its ebony
Ebony has a faster attack, and a slightly faster decay, depending on other factors. The faster attack is perceived as brightness, but any fast note attack seems brighter. Some players love an ebony fretboard with an electric because it feels slick and looks cool. I prefer rosewoods. But again, it's personal preference and you should try before buy.
- Instead of "standard" tuners, it has phase 3
Far preferable, in my opinion. I need locking tuners. They stay in tune better, especially with a trem, but I like them even with a stop tail because they make string changes an absolute breeze.
- Instead of solid body, its a semi-hollow
Depends on your needs. A semi-hollow has a bit different midrange resonance and a somewhat softer, rounder bottom end than solid bodies of equal thickness. I like both. Play one and see if it's for you.
- Instead of the two-piece bridge, it has the gen 3 tremelo bridge
The Gen 3 trem is (IMHO) the best floating trem bridge obtainable anywhere. You get a little more "give" when bending strings with a trem as well, since the bridge moves with the strings.

A two-piece bridge is a little stiffer on bends, assuming the scale length is the same, but it also sounds a little different than the trem bridge; a bit 'woodier' if that description makes sense.

3 of my 4 PRS electrics have the Gen 3 trem. I have another coming soon with the same Gen 3 trem. I like it a lot, you might prefer a stop tail bridge. Totally personal preference thing. Play both, then decide.

Laszlo nailed it. I couldn't add a thing to what he said other than I find that if I stray from the standard woods in a guitar it is a crapshoot on whether I am going to like it. With a PRS I really like mahogany, maple and rosewood like the core models use. I like other wood combinations for different types of guitars but with PRS, other than an SAS, I prefer the typical woods in it.

my 2 cents :
- Instead of typical mahogany body/neck, both are made of Korina- a classic combo , I would suggest the black limba (used in PS)

- Instead of rosewood fretboard, its ebony- More durable , a more defined and slightly brighter tone , however with the korina body/neck it will already be brighter than mahogany so ..perhaps brazilan ...

- Instead of "standard" tuners, it has phase 3 locking tuners- Agreed

- Instead of solid body, its a semi-hollow- always my preference

- Instead of the two-piece bridge, it has the gen 3 tremelo bridge- If you use a trem it's a gem

Korina will be a little brighter, more midrange on some models. Personal preference should dictate; I'd want to play-test the instrument before deciding.

Ebony has a faster attack, and a slightly faster decay, depending on other factors. The faster attack is perceived as brightness, but any fast note attack seems brighter. Some players love an ebony fretboard with an electric because it feels slick and looks cool. I prefer rosewoods. But again, it's personal preference and you should try before buy.

Far preferable, in my opinion. I need locking tuners. They stay in tune better, especially with a trem, but I like them even with a stop tail because they make string changes an absolute breeze.

Depends on your needs. A semi-hollow has a bit different midrange resonance and a somewhat softer, rounder bottom end than solid bodies of equal thickness. I like both. Play one and see if it's for you.

The Gen 3 trem is (IMHO) the best floating trem bridge obtainable anywhere. You get a little more "give" when bending strings with a trem as well, since the bridge moves with the strings.

A two-piece bridge is a little stiffer on bends, assuming the scale length is the same, but it also sounds a little different than the trem bridge; a bit 'woodier' if that description makes sense.

3 of my 4 PRS electrics have the Gen 3 trem. I have another coming soon with the same Gen 3 trem. I like it a lot, you might prefer a stop tail bridge. Totally personal preference thing. Play both, then decide.

Lazlo,
VERY much appreciate the time you took to lend your opinion on these options. As you can imagine, this would be a very large investment for me, in fact, the biggest yet for a guitar. So I figured it wouldn't hurt to extend a lending ear to others like yourself who might have more knowledge or experience on certain things. The two cents (or in your case, three cents) means a lot. I'm very much looking forward to hearing how others feel about these specs too. Thank you sir 🙂

my 2 cents :
- Instead of typical mahogany body/neck, both are made of Korina- a classic combo , I would suggest the black limba (used in PS)

- Instead of rosewood fretboard, its ebony- More durable , a more defined and slightly brighter tone , however with the korina body/neck it will already be brighter than mahogany so ..perhaps brazilan ...

- Instead of "standard" tuners, it has phase 3 locking tuners- Agreed

- Instead of solid body, its a semi-hollow- always my preference

- Instead of the two-piece bridge, it has the gen 3 tremelo bridge- If you use a trem it's a gem

Greywolf,
Thank you for your input. The more help and assistance I can get in this decision the better. And everybody's opinion matters, which is why I posted it to begin with. Appreciate your feedback sir 👍🏻

It Is Very Difficult To Say What Is Better Or Will Work As Each Guitar Is Different And Unique. I Have Identical Models And They Are Different Sounding. I Have Thrown Pickups In One That Work Great So I Throw The Same Pickups In The Duplicate Model And They Sound Terrible Compared To The Other One. Go Figure...

I Believe The Woods You Mentioned Would Result In A Very Nice Guitar With A Warm And Crisp Attack/Tone Without Being Harsh In Any Way On Paper. The Problem Is Real Life And Paper Don't Always Coincide. I Have An All Korina McCarty With A Brazilian Board And It Is A Wonderful Guitar.

Play The Guitar And See How You Connect With It. You Will Know Right Away In Most Instances If It Is A Keeper Or Not. :)

Last edited:
I have to agree. Or at least have an arrangement with the seller or dealer that you have 24 hours to evaluate the guitar before the sale is final.

Here's the issue (once again why I'm doing this post, to try and gather as much info as possible)...this guitar is several states away, so I am unable to see it or play it in person first. I feel I've already been borderline annoying to the poor salesman by how many times I've spoken to him on the phone about it, how many different photos I've asked him to send me of it of every conceivable angle, how many times I've asked him to double amd triple check anything on the guitar that even resembled a spot, and asking what HIS opinion of it in comparison to the other models with different specs. Basically I've tried to do everything I could think of to try and make my decision more confident given I can't see it in person first. And then of course this post. So ad much as I agree with all of you on that subject, its just not an option. So im hoping from gathering as much info as I can from the person selling it who CAN see it in person, and an accumulative set of opinions from everyone else, it will help to at least check off the boxes that I can 😕

Here's the issue (once again why I'm doing this post, to try and gather as much info as possible)...this guitar is several states away, so I am unable to see it or play it in person first. I feel I've already been borderline annoying to the poor salesman by how many times I've spoken to him on the phone about it, how many different photos I've asked him to send me of it of every conceivable angle, how many times I've asked him to double amd triple check anything on the guitar that even resembled a spot, and asking what HIS opinion of it in comparison to the other models with different specs. Basically I've tried to do everything I could think of to try and make my decision more confident given I can't see it in person first. And then of course this post. So ad much as I agree with all of you on that subject, its just not an option. So im hoping from gathering as much info as I can from the person selling it who CAN see it in person, and an accumulative set of opinions from everyone else, it will help to at least check off the boxes that I can 😕
Most dealers will give you something like 72 hours to decide if you want to keep it once you receive it. I would ask if the offer that as well. Then the only thing you would be out is the shipping cost.

Just Buy The Guitar And Hope For The Best Or Walk Away And Never Look Back.

I Hear Your Heart In What You Are Trying To Do And It Is Admirable...It Genuinely Is, But None Of Us Know Exactly How The Guitar Will Sound, Play, Feel, Respond, Etc. We Have Given Good, Honest Advice On All The Specs And Their Attributes But That Doesn't Guarantee A Good Guitar Or A Bad Guitar Or Anywhere In Between. The Only Way To Truly Know Is To Buy It And Truly Know After You Have Lived With It For A Bit. If It Doesn't Work Out, Hunt For Another And Sell That One When You Find It. I Know You Know All Of This And I Say This To Encourage You.

I Sense In Your Heart Of Hearts You Really Want It So Go for It! :)

Basically I've tried to do everything I could think of to try and make my decision more confident given I can't see it in person first. And then of course this post. So ad much as I agree with all of you on that subject, its just not an option. So im hoping from gathering as much info as I can from the person selling it who CAN see it in person, and an accumulative set of opinions from everyone else, it will help to at least check off the boxes that I can 😕
I've been buying my guitars from a dealer in PA for 23 years. I'm in Michigan, and have never set foot in his shop. We work this way: If the guitar isn't for me, he's happy to take it back (I know right away).

It's only happened once, 13 years ago, and I wound up picking something else he had that worked out great.

Sometimes he does video demos of a guitar I'm interested in, played through an amp similar to, or the same model, as one I have. That way I know what it sounds like before even bothering to order.

I'm sure he's not the only dealer with these policies.

Most dealers will give you something like 72 hours to decide if you want to keep it once you receive it. I would ask if the offer that as well. Then the only thing you would be out is the shipping cost.

I'm going to do exactly that, and contact him and ask of he will do that for. Don't know what he will say, but worst case scenario, I got a lot of PRS good people here, who will extend their time to help another guitar player. And that means a lot to me guys! 🙂

Just Buy The Guitar And Hope For The Best Or Walk Away And Never Look Back.

I Hear Your Heart In What You Are Trying To Do And It Is Admirable...It Genuinely Is, But None Of Us Know Exactly How The Guitar Will Sound, Play, Feel, Respond, Etc. We Have Given Good, Honest Advice On All The Specs And Their Attributes But That Doesn't Guarantee A Good Guitar Or A Bad Guitar Or Anywhere In Between. The Only Way To Truly Know Is To Buy It And Truly Know After You Have Lived With It For A Bit. If It Doesn't Work Out, Hunt For Another And Sell That One When You Find It. I Know You Know All Of This And I Say This To Encourage You.

I Sense In Your Heart Of Hearts You Really Want It So Go for It! :)

I get exactly that you're saying Bogner, and I completely agree. I honestly think I will be thrilled will this guitar. Its just such a big milestone for me to get to this point, to be ablento afford something like this. Its been many years in the making, many nights up late looking on the PRS site, going over all the images of the guitar even though you've seen there already several times.....so I just want to do my due diligence to say I tried to do everything I could to ensure my choice is a good one. It sounds like I should go with it, and if I do, assuming nobody else has taken it, ill be posting photos of the guitar to let everyone know what all this research and time was spent on. Appreciate all your help sir, thank you 👍🏻

I get exactly that you're saying Bogner, and I completely agree. I honestly think I will be thrilled will this guitar. Its just such a big milestone for me to get to this point, to be ablento afford something like this. Its been many years in the making, many nights up late looking on the PRS site, going over all the images of the guitar even though you've seen there already several times.....so I just want to do my due diligence to say I tried to do everything I could to ensure my choice is a good one. It sounds like I should go with it, and if I do, assuming nobody else has taken it, ill be posting photos of the guitar to let everyone know what all this research and time was spent on. Appreciate all your help sir, thank you 👍🏻
Thank You For The Kind Words. In This Situation I Think I Can Speak For Everybody Who Has Chimed In. We Are All Here To Help In Any Way That We Can. :)

We All Look Forward To Your New Guitar Day And Congrats In Advance!

Enjoy!

A Korina based guitar is often special. At least to me. My all Korina McSoapy always gets a lot of praise from other players. Ebony (as lazlo pointed out) might push the guitar a little in the direction of snappy or bright. Not a bad thing, but noticeable. Pickups can balance that out to some degree, but the signature will be there. A signature I like, so probably I would be all over that guitar.

Pics if you have them are mandatory!

Enjoy!

A Korina based guitar is often special. At least to me. My all Korina McSoapy always gets a lot of praise from other players. Ebony (as lazlo pointed out) might push the guitar a little in the direction of snappy or bright. Not a bad thing, but noticeable. Pickups can balance that out to some degree, but the signature will be there. A signature I like, so probably I would be all over that guitar.

Pics if you have them are mandatory!

Alright guys, so this is it, the guitar I just purchased. PRS Special Semi-Hollow black/gold 10-top "Wood Library" with Korina body/neck, and ebony fretboard w/ pua abalone hollow birds, which is really gonna make em' pop against that dark fretboard. Another unique option that I've found to be rare among black/gold tops is that it has the body binding. From what I've seen while researching this model the last year is that over 90% of black/gold tops in the core series, and most of the other series, are simply black wrap around. So the black just continues to extend from the edge of the maple top, and wraps around to the back, which always bugged me because it was just too much black for me. It needed something to break it up a little in my opinion amd highlight the outer shape of the guitar body. It all just kind of faded into a bunch of darkness in my opinion without it. I saw so many other colors with the binding after the maple cap and it looked so good, but I could hardly ever find one in black/gold that had it. So the fact I was able to find a Wood Library 10-top with it, including all the other features, I feel like I scored.

I plan to make some personal touches to it once I get it, and then upload some personal photos as well. The first thing I think I'm going to do is add black pickup rings, and then I'm considering going on the hunt for the black/chrome hardware, which I think would make it look really cool. The gentleman who sold me the guitar couldn't of been a nicer, more professional guy (name of salesman and store I purchased it from soon to come). So what do you guys think? Now that you have a visual of all the different options I previously mentioned, do you think it all came together well?

Last edited:
https://reverb.com/item/76782766-pr...ow-korina-black-gold-burst-324?show_sold=true

(I couldn't get the photos to load automatically, so hopefully this link works....)

Alright guys, so this is it, the guitar I just purchased. PRS Special Semi-Hollow black/gold 10-top "Wood Library" with Korina body/neck, and ebony fretboard w/ pua abalone hollow birds, which is really gonna make em' pop against that dark fretboard. Another unique option that I've found to be rare among black/gold tops is that it has the body binding. From what I've seen while researching this model the last year is that over 90% of black/gold tops in the core series, and most of the other series, are simply black wrap around. So the black just continues to extend from the edge of the maple top, and wraps around to the back, which always bugged me because it was just too much black for me. It needed something to break it up a little in my opinion amd highlight the outer shape of the guitar body. It all just kind of faded into a bunch of darkness in my opinion without it. I saw so many other colors with the binding after the maple cap and it looked so good, but I could hardly ever find one in black/gold that had it. So the fact I was able to find a Wood Library 10-top with it, including all the other features, I feel like I scored.

I plan to make some personal touches to it once I get it, and then upload some personal photos as well. The first thing I think I'm going to do is add black pickup rings, and then I'm considering going on the hunt for the black/chrome hardware, which I think would make it look really cool. The gentleman who sold me the guitar couldn't of been a nicer, more professional guy (name of salesman and store I purchased it from soon to come). So what do you guys think? Now that you have a visual of all the different options I previously mentioned, do you think it all came together well?

Back