Whatcha think of this one?

Seems like both sides have a slightly different take on the parting. Rick only says he left. Alembic says he was fired.

I don't think Rick felt the Alembic guitars were a complete success. I felt the same way. They seemed kind of sterile.

They sure made some great sounding basses though!

I've never been into Jerry Garcia's electric guitar tone but a lot of guys love the way he sounded with a Strat.

But that Strat Jerry used had an Alembic pre-amp in it that Rick Turner designed called a Stratoblaster. That's what gave it that sound.

Least I think Rick designed it.

EDIT: Nope. Rick didn't design it. But he does refer to Ron Wickersham as being "my then-partner".

Here's a quote from Rick about the Stratoblaster: "The original was designed by my then-partner, Ron Wickersham, and yes, Lowell George used one...that's the sound, into a Dumble...on Waiting for Columbus. I put one in Lindsey Buckingham's Strat for the Rumours sessions; that was pre-Model 1. It's a great circuit...still...after more than 30 years."
I put a Stratoblaster in my SE Silver Sky. I should really post that guitar with the mods.

Last edited:
Really? I don’t get Mosrite Ventures model at all from that. I think the Venture’s is an iconic shape, but maybe I’m biased because my first guitar was a Silvertone/Kawai knockoff (and derp, The Ramones)(double double derp.. The F**kin’ Ventures).

I get some the the Burns vibe like jxe said, but I also get a Dean vibe along with the Aria.

Is this a reissue or a model Turner did in the 80’s? The Wilkinson is way too new for this to be an old guitar.
Wilkinson's been around since at least the 90s, I think ... Could he have done this in the 90s?

Last edited:
Back