What is wrong with these two set lists?

watelessness

Guys, what is wrong with these two set lists?
Set 1

1. Love Gun (KISS)
  2. Knocking At Your Backdoor (Depp Purple)
  3. She Drives Me Crazy (orig)
  4. TNT (AC/DC)
  5. Hot Blooded (Foreigner)
  6. Your Own Fault (orig)
  7. Breathe (Pink Floyd)
  8. Aquinas (orig)
  9. Living After Midnight (Judas Priest)
  10. Last Child (Aerosmith)
  11. Don't Go Away (orig)

Set 2

1. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
  2. Man On The Silver Mountain (Rainbow)
  3. Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)
  4. Train Kepta Rolling (Aerosmith)
  5. Train, Train (Blackfoot)
  6. Holy Diver (Dio)
  7. Stranglehold (Nugent)
  8. Blue And Evil (Joe Bonamassa)
  9. Back In The USSR (Beatles)
  10. Waiting On A Friend (Rolling Stones)
  11. Suite Madam Blue (Styx)

Dunno...need more cowbell? Lack of Hanson covers is mildly disturbing, but not enough so to leave after first set ;)

I guess it depends on the aim of the band playing them. The second set has no originals, and it's got a lot of heavier, beat-'em-over-the-head tunes in it. If you're wanting the crowd to sit and talk less and get up and move more, I'd suggest the second set.

To me, the first set is more for a crowd that wants to sit and gab some, maybe eat snacks, dance a little, and have more of an all around good time. The second set is more about power, and other than the Nugent and Stones tune, they're more mid to up tempo.

On the downside, there's no Justin Bieber in either of them. :evil:

Goldtop

Knocking At Your Backdoor (Depp Purple)
$(KGrHqJ,!hYE1fWBYk9TBNemZ4Fq4!~~_35.JPG

What sorts of places are you playing? What is the age of the audience?

Here are some thoughts:
  • A lot of that set list looks like songs that guitar players want to play. Is that your target audience?
  • I think starting off with a bang is good. But is Love Gun the right tune? Given the lead and harmony vocals I would think you'd want to do that once you're singers are warmed up and in the groove of the night. But if you're comfortable with it then right on.
  • Assuming you are playing in typical restaurant/bars I would play the originals later in the night once you "have" the crowd. Hitting folks with an original tune just a few songs in may not work out the way you want.
  • Waiting on a Friend is a wonderful song but it stands out like a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest.
  • Hot Blooded - ugh
  • Stranglehold - I'd rather hear Hot Blooded again ;)

Well, this is our "last" setlist for the nite, whenever it may come.

1. Summertime Blues.
2. BallTrap.
3. Angel From Montgomery/The Ride ... if i can't sing "you don't have to call me Mister, Mister ... the whole world calls me Hank" ... I get grumpy.
4. Call Me The Breeze/Sweet Home Alabama.
5. Promised Land.
6. Summer of '69.
7. Hot Rod Lincoln.
8. Guitars, Cadillacs, Hillbilly Music.
9. All Right Now.
10. Tush.
11. Cadillac Ranch.
12. CopperHead Road.
13. Takin' Care of Business.
14. House Is A Rockin'.
15. Goin' Home.
16. Some Kind of Wonderful.
17. Mony, Mony.

Encore ...
Satisfaction.

2nd, if necessary ...
You Shook Me.

Last edited:
And Free Bird.

Free Bird is awesome. But only if played well. I've only played it live once. The last band I was in when I lived in Seattle wanted to do it so I learned it. When we played it live the singer started mocking it as we were playing it (note that it was his idea to do the song). He was such a dick and this was the last straw for me. I never played with that ********* again.

So I'd play Free Bird in a heartbeat if it's going to be done well. I haven't seen a band do it in years actually - this is a good suggestion.

But would you shorten Freebird at the end? Not many audiences will be happy if the band indulges in 10 minute guitar solos...

I would move two originals from the first set to the second. I would also end both sets (and begin for that matter) with songs that people are familiar with. But I definitely agree with WEDGE...you've got to nix that Styx song. I've never heard 'Suite Madam Blue' before today. The harmonies are cool but would the audience know that song well enough to end with it?

But I definitely agree with WEDGE...you've got to nix that Styx song. I've never heard 'Suite Madam Blue' before today. The harmonies are cool but would the audience know that song well enough to end with it?

Seriously? I grew up in the DC area and that song used to be on the radio all the time.

But would you shorten Freebird at the end? Not many audiences will be happy if the band indulges in 10 minute guitar solos...

If you play the studio version the whole song is right at 9 minutes. The guitar solos kick in after 5 minutes. If you play those solos well and the band does all the hits and stops it's actually a pretty cool 4 minutes. If you're playing it well then people will be dancing and you won't get many complaints about keeping people dancing for 9 minutes.

Back