What is the best amp for Neal Schon, Santana, and or Joe Bonamassa type sounds?

CJM3175

I currently have a Mesa Boogie Studio Caliber DC-2, in mint condition, which I got a great deal on ($350 with a steel case). However, I recently made a big jump from a PRS SE Paul Allender to a 2013 PRS SC245 and would like to upgrade my amp as well. My favorite guitarists are Santana, Neal Schon, and Joe Bonamassa. I also love Blues Rock from BB King to Eric Clapton. Problem is THERE ARE SOOOO MANY OPTIONS! Please let me know what amp you would buy (or try to buy) new or used for under $1,000. I don't tour or gig, but I would like to have that capability power wise just in case (alla small venues with a band). I also would prefer a combo amp as opposed to a head and a cabinet simply for convenience.

... I don't know... The Boogie you have is an awesome amp and probably what I would've recommended in the first place.

Problem is THERE ARE SOOOO MANY OPTIONS!

And so many opinions about what would be good! You'll get 'em all here. Ten zillion of 'em. Because everyone has their favorites.

Of course, the only one that could possibly count is your own opinion.

Are you located somewhere it's hard to find music stores with amps you can try out?

Schon mostly plays Marshalls. Santana mostly records with a Dumble, and tours with Mesas. Bonamassa mostly plays Marshall Jubilees and Dumble style amps, but also plays a few Fenders.

IMHO the PRS amps kick all kinds of butt, including but not limited to the foregoing. But you'll have to buy used.

I also think a Mesa would be a great choice for what you're describing - if you don't like what you've got now, maybe hunt around for a used 5:25+ combo? Those seem to be really versatile amps.

Otherwise, I think forum brother Corey has really enjoyed his Blackstar ID combo(s). They're the first solid state amps I've heard that have a lot of features that actually sound good. Maybe not AS good as a Dumble or a Plexi, but if you want flexibility, it'd be a good choice. I think Schon is actually playing Blackstar now, or at least he was for a while.

Of course, if you dig the clean tone you have now, and you didn't spend a ton on the amp, your other option is to get some nice pedals. Until recently I wasn't a big pedal fan, but I got into Wampler pedals and they're the real deal. A little pricey, but a Plexidrive for Bonamassa/Schon tones and a Euphoria for Dumble tones, and you'd be in good shape.

Mesa does make some damn fine amps.

As I said, my preference these days is for the PRS gear I have, but the Mark V was a lot of fun when I had one. Out of your price range, though, even used.

But I will bet you can find a nice PRS Sweet 16, 30 or 2-ch H or C used in your price range. Under a grand new, and you're really having to make some compromises.

Straying from the PRS line (like Les, I'm a big PRS amp fan), maybe look for an older Budda (pre-Peavey). They cover a lot of ground, although they stop short of crazy gain. And LOUD. I have a Superdrive 18 - I don't think I've had the master above about 9:00.

If you can find one, a used Roccaforte Rockie would also cover a lot of territory. Mine lives at my son's studio, and it's a very fine amp.

Get the DC-2 checked by a good tech. If all is fine with it, I think you are good... Don't underestimate what you already have
Don't be fooled by the small wattage of the DC-2... If in good health it gets pretty loud, enough for small venues... If you hook it up to a 4X12 you'll be pleasantly surprised by the result...
Also don't forget to explore the 245's versatile volume and tone knobs. Get ac/dc rhythm with the volume at 6 and bonamassa lead with the volume at 10 without touching the amp...
Do you have any effects?
Just my 2p....

Last edited:
Get the DC-2 checked by a good tech. If all is fine with it, I think you are good... Don't underestimate what you already have
Don't be fooled by the small wattage of the DC-2... If in good health it gets pretty loud, enough for small venues... If you hook it up to a 4X12 you'll be pleasantly surprised by the result...
Also don't forget to explore the 245's versatile volume and tone knobs. Get ac/dc rhythm with the volume at 6 and bonamassa lead with the volume at 10 without touching the amp...
Do you have any effects?
Just my 2p....

Good advice. Speaking of volume and tone knobs, Bonamassa has said several times in interviews that he rarely gets his guitar's volume control above 6, and that he likes to control the gain from the guitar. There are several videos of Joe B showing how he uses pedals.

Santana also works his volume and tone controls, even while recording.

Dunno about Neal S, but he's been around the block a few times, and no doubt good info on how he uses his gear is out there somewhere.

Back