What is the B+ average on a HDRX20 head?

88prs

OCD for PRS
What is the B+ average on a HDRX20 head? I guess I could tear apart and measure but since the bias is easy to do externally, I would like to calculate based off the B+ and decide the best tube.

From PRS (Matt) and Thank YOU!.....

" We recommend a bias of 30mV because that allows for optimum operation of the tubes through a range of 333 - 400 VDC on the plates. So I would say that the average B+ is ~370V. "

Let's me know what variety of 5881 I can slam in there, or 6L6.... but I knew that already since a 6L6's can take about anything, but more output and glassier sounding.

Cool!!!!

If I had designed that amp, it would have a B+ that is closer to 300VDC than 400VDC.

Further to that, some builders like Fortin, Friedman, Larry and others are using PT with higher voltage taps and splitting V+ on V1 via two resistors. First, V1 via 100k plate resistors feeds a clean channel for big headroom, and the drive channel is fed by a second resistor in series (100-220k) for more compression.

It is probably what PRS do as well

Further to that, some builders like Fortin, Friedman, Larry and others are using PT with higher voltage taps and splitting V+ on V1 via two resistors. First, V1 via 100k plate resistors feeds a clean channel for big headroom, and the drive channel is fed by a second resistor in series (100-220k) for more compression.

It is probably what PRS do as well
"Builders" And "Fortin" In The Same Sentence? ;)

P.s. I’m guessing his preference would be more for the effects on the power stage… softer, more “vintage” sounding and less odd order harmonics.
It's a preference on a paper. My Fillmore 50H has 440v on the plates, yet it's full of harmonics and quick enough to be mistaken for a modern amp when gently boosted.

"Builders" And "Fortin" In The Same Sentence? ;)

Not a fan of Mike? ;)

It's a preference on a paper. My Fillmore 50H has 440v on the plates, yet it's full of harmonics and quick enough to be mistaken for a modern amp when gently boosted.
Yes, but he said his preference would be to reduce B+ from 400v to 300v. All other things being equal, wouldn’t we expect a bit softer “more vintage” sounding power stage, with some reduction in odd order harmonics, with that change? Admittedly, I haven’t looked at a schematic, but have seen one for other “versions” of this circuit. And, I’m now a solid 10 years past any reading or study of that stuff….

Yes, but he said his preference would be to reduce B+ from 400v to 300v. All other things being equal, wouldn’t we expect a bit softer “more vintage” sounding power stage, with some reduction in odd order harmonics, with that change? Admittedly, I haven’t looked at a schematic, but have seen one for other “versions” of this circuit. And, I’m now a solid 10 years past any reading or study of that stuff….

No, it would be just the opposite. That's kind of what EVH was doing with starving his Marshall to 90vdc, effectively reducing the plate voltage for a more compressed tone.

JTM45/100, to me, is a definition of vintage tone. B+ on the plates could be as high as 550v, and more in these amps. The 200w Major had close to 720v on the plates - these amps have been dedicated to bass players and hardly expected to clip

reducing the plate voltage for a more compressed tone.
I think we’re saying almost the same thing but you’re disagreeing…. Let’s forget “vintage” then as that must be what’s throwing you off. I meant, reduring the voltage would soften the power stage. Reduce punch and impact… you said “more compressed.” That’s what I’m talking about. Less punch, softer/more compressed…. I know every vintage amps isn’t that way, but was referring to the ones that are. If I wasn’t clear I guess that’s on me, but I think we’re saying the same thing.

I think we’re saying almost the same thing but you’re disagreeing…. Let’s forget “vintage” then as that must be what’s throwing you off. I meant, reduring the voltage would soften the power stage. Reduce punch and impact… you said “more compressed.” That’s what I’m talking about. Less punch, softer/more compressed…. I know every vintage amps isn’t that way, but was referring to the ones that are. If I wasn’t clear I guess that’s on me, but I think we’re saying the same thing.
Probably ;) I'm four hours past my bedtime.

Back