What do PRSi look like when they ain't so pretty?

Thanks Les. I've purchased used guitars and never once thought about the possibility that a previous owner had licked one.....

Until now. :eek:

Some cool examples of Patina'd PRS's in this thread for sure! While I would never have the calzones to do this to my PRS I honestly like the look of a road worn guitar. Somehow PRS's just seem to want to be clean and elegant...a quality I really like about them. Strats and Gibby's really take the "used and abused" look much better.

I still feel that the dents and dings should be earned and not paid for though. In other words there should be a story behind every scratch and dent. I have an Ibanez that has a deep gouge in it's headstock that was delivered by a cymbal pushed over by a drummer we were jamming with a long while back. This was decades ago one summer when I was home for summer break from college. We were horsing around at the end of a song and he got carried away and pushed over one of his Cymbals and it karate chopped my headstock leaving a huge split. I was initially pissed, but the guitar still plays fine and now I rather like the battle scar for it's memories. Plus I'm happy it was my guitar's headstock and not my personal "Headstock" as I would have been REALLY pissed then :)

Steve

There is no such thing as "relicing".

There is real life love, use and bruises (provenance), and there is poser stupidity.

So those of us with relic are now "stupid posers (sic)"?

I gotta' tell you Bill, you're on a roll lately! :dontknow:

Thanks Les. I've purchased used guitars and never once thought about the possibility that a previous owner had licked one.....

I worry about worse things with used guitars! I'll start with folks who use the bathroom and don't wash their hands, and go from there.

Not gonna lie, kinda makes me wanna lick the next guitar I sell!:rofl::eek::rofl:

Not gonna lie, kinda makes me wanna lick the next guitar I sell!:rofl::eek::rofl:

LOL. Follow the advice of Les and do it twice. BOOM! Re-llicked. Personally, I'm going to make sure any e-bay item I place includes "This item has never been licked" in the description. Camera, bicycle... whatever.

More on topic, I love the beauty of PRSi, but Frankie's guitar looks awesome. Because it's REAL. I hate fake relic-ing.

Edit: "hate" is a strong word. Faux relic-ing is not for me. Do whatever you want with your own guitars.

Last edited:
Casper makes this one look like a case queen, but heres my entry:

DSC_6218_zps67a31d24.jpg

DSC_6136_zps15411d99.jpg

DSC_6135_zps6b9700bb.jpg

DSC_6133-2_zps86468faa.jpg

DSC_6111_zps7f407952.jpg

DSC_6108_zpsfc35f2aa.jpg

So those of us with relic are now "stupid posers (sic)"?

I gotta' tell you Bill, you're on a roll lately! :dontknow:

OOPS!

I've written this before, but Jamie's comment helps me to understand that there may be people who forgot my stance on this or might be new to the forum and haven't read the older threads.

I'm opposed to relicing a guitar for the purpose of giving it a false 'history' in an attempt to present it to other people as your own worn war ax or for sale to someone who you are conning into thinking it was played into it's provenance. Condition has 2 high dollar ends: Brand New and truly road worn by a performing artist. Trying to simulate the latter for the purposes of fradulently increasing the value of a guitar is what I mean by 'poser stupidity.'

I understand there are lots of players who relish the look and feel of a well worn, well loved guitar and are willing distress their guitars themselves or pay someone else to do it for them. I get it. It's about the look and feel four your own pleasure. To these people, I apologize.

Just don't give your guitar to someone like the a$$hat in the video in post #2. What that guy is doing is ham-fisted mutilation. At least give it to someone who knows what they are doing like Paul Miles (see post # 17).

Last edited:
I'm always surprised at how few genuinely worn PRS guitars show up in these threads. There has to be more out there!

The PRS relic is a great idea in theory, if it were a nitro model, but I wouldnt be up for one finished in v12 with nitro-esque checking, unless there is a real life circumstance where v12 can check on its own.

Back