What difference of sound between 1-piece bridge & 2-piece bridge?

Quicksilver

Hi, I saw the SC245 spec there is 2 difference to early period Singlecut,
So. I'm curious
1)What difference of sound between 1-piece bridge & 2-piece bridge?
2)What difference of sound between 25" & 24.5" scale length?
Thanks a lot!

I cannot tell what is the difference between the sound from a 2 piece and one piece bridge of the same mass, since there are so many other variables that can influence the sound of a guitar. But I'm sure that influence comes from the bridge, too.

Regarding scale length, I find that shorter scale length guitars can be a bit 'furry' and warm sounding. On the other hand, longer scales give an impression of some more chime and shimmer, and the lows sound 'tighter,' especially when I play on the bottom strings.
The guitars will feel different, too, seeing how the same gauge of strings will be under noticably less tension on a 24.75" scale guitar than it would on a 25 (or 25.5").

pretty much agree with the above on scale.

Shorter scale guitars like a Les Paul tend to have a rounder, fuller, fatter sound- especially in the lower end and low mids- that can even me muddy. The longer scale of a strat contributes to the brightness and the spank/twang of the instrument.

My SE C24 has a scale just a bit longer than a Les Paul, which combined with 9g strings, allows me to get some very strat-like tones when using the coil tap. Obviously other factors such as woods, contruction specs, etc play a role as well. ymmv

On the Singlecuts, I've had several of both. The 2 piece bridge sounds more woody, more vintage. It obviously does a different thing to the guitar body because the bridges are attached at 4 points instead of two. The strings on the two piece rest on brass saddles, the strings on the one piece (on the SC) rest on an aluminum bridge.

And of course the mass of the parts is different, etc.

I prefer it to the one piece.

Last edited:
Thanks for reply, I do feel 25" scale a bit more tighter tension, so the lower string on higher position sounds more clarity not muddy, and the one piece bridge is unique design, wondering why prs still release the SC245 for. Even though the Les paul already has 24.75" and 2 pieces bridge.
So, which spec you prefer on SC and why?

A two piece bridge is one louder than a one piece bridge.

tumblr_inline_muruena5Oa1qlasi4.gif

There is a pretty significant difference in tone between the 24.5 and 25, as already described. Plus, there is a difference the in feel.

As for the bridges, I can't say I ever A/B'd two with exactly the same specs, but I A/B'd two with very similar specs, and I couldn't attribute any differences in tone to the bridge (I only heard the slight difference in pups). I can say that the two-piece was much more comfortable to me. In fact, I went in not wanting to like it because it wasn't PRS in my mind, but I still walked away with it being my favorite.

Back