Want to upgrade PRS SE pickups, any recommendations?

ChrisM

Hello, my first post here.

I've owned a PRS SE since 2006, however I'm wanting to upgrade the pickups.

The SE currently has two single coil pickups, one in the neck, one in the middle and a dual humbucker in the bridge. The reason I bought this guitar is that Alex Lifeson, one of my guitar hero, sometimes plays a similar guitar in a live setting.

I've noticed there are some used pickups floating around on ebay, typically dual humbuckers. I was wondering if anyone could make any recommendations on what to look for or avoid. I will say this, I have always been impressed with the sight and sounds of the PRS that were produced in the late 80s/early 90s, so I was wanting to get a pickup from that era.

As for the single coils, I don't think PRS produces anything like this, so I probably would have to go with a different vendor.

thanks

- Chris

You must have a modded SE EG, yes? Can you post some pics?

Early 90s PRS pickups were mainly the HFS/Vintage Bass pickups or maybe the Dragon 1. You can find HFS pickups regularly on the used market. I have no idea about strat style pickups.

As john asks, post some pix: sounds like you have an interesting guitar. Although poking around the interwebz, it appears the SE EG was offered in a S/S/H configuration. Can't find anything useful on the PRS website, though.

IIRC, Alex Lifeson played CEs, which have a bolt-on maple neck. Quite a different beast, in one sense.

The SE EG was available both in SSS and SSH configurations. It does sound like Chris has an SE EG with a humbucker at the bridge.

Chris, I'm a huge Rush fan myself and I did quite a bit of research on Alex Lifeson's PRS guitars. When Alex was playing PRS electrics back in the 90s and early 2000s, he mostly used the CE 24 model. He acquired these guitars prior to 1994, when PRS was still using alder as the body wood. PRS changed the construction to use mahogany that year. The neck of the CE 24 has always been maple.

Your SE EG has a mahogany body and neck, so it will be a bit different, tonally, but you can get close. One of the other forum members here actually got confirmation from Lifeson's guitar tech that the PRS he uses still has its stock pickups, which apparently are the HFS in the bridge and the Vintage Bass in the neck. Replace your bridge pickup with the HFS and you'll have a reasonable facsimile of his Counterparts-era tone.

Alternatively, you could put a Gibson 498T in the bridge; this is what he's currently using in his signature Les Pauls.

If you want to get his classic 70s tone, any vintage Alnico 2 PAF will do. PRS makes the 57/08, but those are probably overpriced for what you want. The Gibson 57 Classic or Classic Plus would be fine, or you can pick up the GuitarFetish Classic II Alnico 2 if you don't want to spend a lot.

As for the neck and middle pickups, I'd stick with what you have, unless you really want to switch to noiseless. In that case, I like the Dimarzio Area 67 for a neck pickup and the Area 58 for the middle. That's just personal preference, though.

You could buy a HFS and a set of Evans single coils for the ultimate A.L. compromise.

I also own a EG SE HSS and I'm quite happy with the pu's ; that said if I was going to be replacing them, I want either SD's or Lace pu's

Sorry, for the really late reply.

It is my understanding that some of the SE guitars, PRS has skimped on the electronics. Say for example, used generic pickups, instead of using something good. This keeps the cost of the guitar down and makes it accessible to anyone.

I've noticed when I play the guitar, the sound, in my opinion, doesn't sound that great.

The body and neck of the guitar is awesome. One of the best I've ever played/owned. However, IMO, there is something off about the pickups.

I will post a pic once I get home.

thanks

Buddy of mine has an SE EG HSS, humbucker sounds fat and awesome, but the singles are kind of dull sounding. If it were me, I would get a set of Dimarzio Cruisers and have an Andy Timmons style axe - great player, great tone.

But that's just one of many ways you could go!

Back