Velvety Neck

guitarman001

IMG_20141007_191710_zpsafbcfd0c.jpg

IMG_20141007_191518_zpsbe03a07b.jpg

Last edited:
Does the orange one have less play time? Satin nitro will smooth out over time and get a little semi-gloss sheen to it. You may just need to play the orange one a lot (oh darn) to get the nitro broken in.

I had a guitar with satin finish on the neck. Didn't take long to kill it. Felt like a regular gloss neck in no time.

0000 steel wool will knock the gloss off with a few passes. I have to do this from time to time on my Fender necks that are satin.

Hold on, am I reading conflicting info here?
Do I want the gloss or not?

What I'm saying is... the orange one feels more like bare wood when I play. It's a 2013 model and has had more play.
The violet one... the neck feels like silk when you play it. It's very hard to describe but it's simply incredible - the best neck I've ever felt (lol). I hope it doesn't feel like bare wood over time!
Any finish on the satin neck that thins over time... will that affect the guitar/warp the neck etc?

I liked the satin finish but it didn't last long. For that reason I would never pay an up charge for the satin.

I liked the satin finish but it didn't last long. For that reason I would never pay an up charge for the satin.

Please expand upon your statement... what did it feel like initially, and what does it feel like now?
The "normal" necks people say can feel sticky. Also does the gloss on normal necks fade? I had a Torero (ok, not US-made!) whose lacquer or whatever started to fade and it was a real put off.

The satin felt very nice, I loved it. But after I played the guitar for a while the satin became gloss in the areas I spent more time. I dont like the gloss finished necks when its hot and humid like an outdoor show. It gets sticky and hard to slide hand up and down neck.

Satin has a tendency to shine up from the oils and sweat in your hands. In my experience, not so much as a guitar with a glossy finish. I haven't had a satin maple neck PRS, so I can't comment there. As stated, you can remove the shine with 0000 steel wool or similar pad. I wouldn't do that any more than necessary, you may not ever "feel" the need. That's how I'd determine if you need to, is purely by feel. Even when my neck shined up a bit, it didn't feel sticky. I wouldn't worry about it and just play your guitars. Those necks are making me want a maple neck guitar pretty bad though! You like whatever YOU like, so don't be conflicted on anything!

My necks get Meguiar's liquid car polish/cleaner when I change the strings. Keeps them as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Back