Upgrading SE Santana to 4 wire pickups

DarkPenguin

Need to swap out either the tone or volume for a push pull. Which pot should I buy for this? Doesn't really need to be any better than what is in there. Just no worse.

Suggestions?

These are what I've used in the past:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/proline-500k-push-pull-potentiometer
Since they're long shaft, sometimes you have to put one nut/washer on the shaft, to be inside the control cavity, so it doesn't stick way up off the top. But that's easy, you can use the nut and washer from the stock pot, they're the same thread. Beware of others like Allparts, the ones I've tried are different diameter and won't fit through the existing holes.

Now, as far as which pot to replace, I highly suggest putting a push/pull pot in both, so you can split both pickups separately. Kind of a poor man's 408, you can get any combination you want of split and humbuckers. Will you be modding the stock pickups for coil splits, or putting in some different ones?

I have a set of Dominger Whiskysippi pickups that I want to stuff into it. I had them in a Partscaster. Hoping to get some of that guitar's sound in an instrument that I actually like playing.

Thanks for the suggestion. The price is certainly cheap enough.

Ended up with a bourne mini audio taper pot. After a living hell installing it (Dominger pickups are almost the same color code as duncans) it all works great. Goes from jangly to mean pretty easily. Nice!

Back