Upcoming Alter Bridge V album used guitars for sale on Fret12

I wish people would buy my used strings.

Not knocking Tremonti for it. I really do wish people would buy my used strings.

HaHa...good one. Used panty flashback: 1988/89 living in Darien. Spent many nights at Joanie's Dry Dock on the frontage road right off of Cass and I-55. They used to do "Lingerie Shows" once or twice a week for Happy Hour. Pretty girls in lingerie selling raffle tickets for the outfits they were wearing. I never could get the wife to wear anything I won. She must be pro warranty too o_O

Back to your normally scheduled thread....

I vaguely remember that! I was too young to get in. :oops: I remember being psyched to go to this place in Wsetmont that had scantily clad women too, it closed a week before I was legal.

I vaguely remember that! I was too young to get in. :oops: I remember being psyched to go to this place in Wsetmont that had scantily clad women too, it closed a week before I was legal.

Was that at 63rd and Fairview? I remember that place. Went to a bachelor party there. It was lame. Two drink limit, and no alcohol. WTF? On the other hand, it was next to a good Mexican restaurant.

Was that at 63rd and Fairview? I remember that place. Went to a bachelor party there. It was lame. Two drink limit, and no alcohol. WTF? On the other hand, it was next to a good Mexican restaurant.

Totally! I forget what it was called, "The End Zone"? maybe that's what it became after... The mexican restaurant there is still pretty good.

Good to know it's still there. I ate a lot of burritos at that place many moons ago.

Thanks for the rant - interesting read about their previous labels and (lack of) promotion.

Another "fun fact": labels are now making so-called "360-deals" (as in 360 degrees), where it's not only record sales they dip into, but also touring, merch etc etc... Further cementing the tendency that only the few big acts get much out of a deal, let alone get a dime other than their advance. Also, while the cost to produce a record has gone WAY down the past ten-fifteen years, costs for everything related to music videos, promotion and all that is ALSO something the record company will typically recoup before the artist gets any money.

Didn't mention the 360 because neither AB or Tremonti have one ;)

Man, you sound like you're in the know about these things?? :)

My first real job after high school while in college was as a PR person for an A&R company. I had to learn a lot of stuff that, in hindsight is kind of useless to me now :p
The 360 deals came about due to labels not wanting to take a chance losing a ton of money on new artists. Where they used to take care of everything from album costs, all that goes into promoting it (print and digital adverts, record store ads, flyers which they still do depending on the demographic you live in, signage, art direction, etc), single to radio and greasing palms, PR dept, distribution if they have to go outside, legal dept, tour support (because contrary to what people think you don't see your favorite artists on tour because they're friends - they might be, but just because they are doesn't mean it's like hey, let's do a tour together, sure why not. The labels and management, booking deal with putting that together and have to negotiate, especially when they don't have the same management or label), now to cover themselves they made deals with new and established artists as well, that they would dip into ticket and merch sales from touring, as well as merch sales done through secondary company and official merch stores. All this garbage is exactly why everyone should stop being so gung ho about streaming services like spotify and really stop uploading whole albums to youtube - because artists are getting robbed and people are just so stupid they think that they're supporting their favorite artists with the thought of, 'oh it will help them get more fans.' It might, but most people will just stream the album or use a downloader to steal the album off of youtube...

All this garbage is exactly why everyone should stop being so gung ho about streaming services like spotify and really stop uploading whole albums to youtube - because artists are getting robbed and people are just so stupid they think that they're supporting their favorite artists with the thought of, 'oh it will help them get more fans.' It might, but most people will just stream the album or use a downloader to steal the album off of youtube...

Amen.

Anyone know the spec that these are? I know it is the Tremonti Signature but are they standard spec, 10 top, or artist quality? You would think at that price they would be Artist spec with brazzy fretboards.

Anyone know the spec that these are? I know it is the Tremonti Signature but are they standard spec, 10 top, or artist quality? You would think at that price they would be Artist spec with brazzy fretboards.
I'm sure if you e-mail fret12 they'll let you know within a day or so. They're really good at getting back to people.

Quick, and kind of interesting question. I buy and listen to all of my music through Amazon. I love live performances, and buy the album versions and live versions of my favorite music whenever available. Sometimes, I will find live versions of these songs on youtube. I download the video so that I can rip the audio onto an MP3, and then upload that to my Amazon catalog. Would this be considered wrong? (legally or morally?)

Kevin

I get all of my stuff from megaboon.com and don't feel guilty about it (anymore). Can't beat less than $1 for a cd.

Ok, not really all. I do go through iTunes on occasion, and there are some discs that I still buy from certain bands.

Quick, and kind of interesting question. I buy and listen to all of my music through Amazon. I love live performances, and buy the album versions and live versions of my favorite music whenever available. Sometimes, I will find live versions of these songs on youtube. I download the video so that I can rip the audio onto an MP3, and then upload that to my Amazon catalog. Would this be considered wrong? (legally or morally?)

Kevin

Not clear on the legal aspects of this.I'm not sure what you do or don't do with the music - I don't know what the amazon catalog is.

Morally - hmm... I guess that's up to individual people to define, per definition. My take: If the live versions are on the original artist's channel, or that of their publisher/record company or some other "officially sanctioned channel", then you are actually denying them revenue from streaming. This is not much, of course, but since we're talking morally here, then in that case, I'd say yes - it's morally "suspect" :) If they are from UNofficial channels, then I'd say the same thing, at least if there are "official" versions of the same available (albums or songs on say itunes/amazon, or streaming channels).

Morality is a bit of a funny thing, since it is subjective, so take the above as my opinion with my understanding that not all people will agree :)

For me personally, my beliefs are that if I don't want to pay the asking price for a product, then I don't need or want it bad enough, and should stay well away from obtaining it through "other means". I don't get to decide what stuff should cost, I can only vote with my dollar. This still goes for the "but if it is more expensive than what I am willing to pay, then I wouldn't buy it anyway, and so I haven't cut into their sales", which sounds like a bad excuse to me. Buy the greatest music you can listen to, and don't waste your time on stuff you don't think is worthy of your money :)

Apart from the legal and moral stuff, then there is the aspect of artists' revenue. I can't say that streaming is morally wrong, I just think that the artists I like to listen to are worth more than what they get per stream from me. I have NO numbers to back this up, but I think the revenue structure with streaming benefits the big mainstream artists, and is detrimental to the slightly more obscure acts (which is where my tastes usually lie). This in turn could/would lead to more standardized music, less of the stuff I like. Therefore, I prefer to support them with album sales rather than streaming.

The other day, I bought the first two CDs I've bought in like five years. Here's the kicker: I bought 'em used from a store that has a big collection of second hand CDs. Now what does that make me, I wonder....?? Hadn't thought about it like that......

Point taken. Don't get me wrong. For songs that I like and want, I buy any and every version available. (Often merchandise as well) I like to support the artists as much as possible, so they can keep making music!!

These are live videos of songs, many of which were recorded from various festivals on TV. (i.e. AM Ring, etc.) Not from the artists' sites, and not available there.

Kevin

I buy 99% of my music from Amazon on CD because I like to import them into itunes as lossless. I still use a 120gb ipod in my car and the sound difference between an itunes/amazon mp3 and lossless import is like night and day.

I would like to figure out how to download a youtube video and get it into mp3 though. There is a Tool concert on youtube from a few days ago, when they kicked off their new tour, that sounds pretty darn good and would love to listen to it on my ipod.

Last edited:
I buy 99% of my music from Amazon on CD because I like to import them into itunes as lossless. I still use a 120gb ipod in my car and the sound difference between an itunes/amazon mp3 and lossless import is like night and day.

I would like to figure out how to download a youtube video and get it into mp3 though. There is a Tool concert on youtube from a few days ago, when they kicked off their new tour, that sounds pretty darn good and would love to listen to it on my ipod.

I think there's an app to enable FLAC use with your ipod. Seems to me I just read something about it over the weekend.

You have PM. Oh. I guess its not PM anymore. Well, you have a 'conversation'......

Back