Trying to find a refinisher that can spray big chunky flakes!

pwrmac7600

So as the title says, I am looking to get my 05 McCarty refinished in metal flake. specifically red silver and blue. like the Buck Owens American Telecaster.
Reached out to PRS but they won't do it as they stated they will only refinish in currently available core colors. So I am on the hunt for someone who can refinish for me, and possibly someone who can preserve PRS logoing on the headstock and serial numbering.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

So as the title says, I am looking to get my 05 McCarty refinished in metal flake. specifically red silver and blue. like the Buck Owens American Telecaster.
Reached out to PRS but they won't do it as they stated they will only refinish in currently available core colors. So I am on the hunt for someone who can refinish for me, and possibly someone who can preserve PRS logoing on the headstock and serial numbering.
Thanks!

@markd21 to the Pink Sparkly Courtesy Phone.

Thanks!
I’m guessing you might need to try someone who does auto refinishing.

I’m guessing you might need to try someone who does auto refinishing.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, I know a lot of painters don't like spraying flake because it is hard to spray and clogs up guns, but....
My worry about an auto refinisher is the removal of the currently finish. Don't really trust them doing that.
I found a couple of places online, but after reading reviews and hearing some nightmare stories about guitars taking over a year sometimes longer to get back to their owners it scared me off.

I'd agree an auto custom painter is your best bet. I did one , it came out well enough to be in 2 videos, but NEVER again ..

So far the bummer part of the story is, no one i am reaching out to can do anything about the headstock logo or serial number. So if I refinish they would both be gone.... Which i am not so sure i want to do. All my problems could be solved if PRS would just agree to source the flake paint and refinish the damn thing for me.... ugh well the search continues.

So far the bummer part of the story is, no one i am reaching out to can do anything about the headstock logo or serial number. So if I refinish they would both be gone.... Which i am not so sure i want to do. All my problems could be solved if PRS would just agree to source the flake paint and refinish the damn thing for me.... ugh well the search continues.
You could go stinger-style on the back of the headstock to save the serial number.
There are repro headstock logos out there if you do a little searching.

Last edited:
Back