Truss rod rattle on my brand new fresh out of the box SE Kingfisher

RynoMatic

Can anyone tell me if I missing something? I have a brand new SE Kingfisher bass. I just opened the box an hour ago. During and after the strings were tuned I instantly noticed the entire neck has a loud rattle that can also be felt when playing open on the A&D string. This was not fret buzz, it is neck rattle. I removed the truss rod cover and saw quite a few exposed threads under the A-corn nut I have not attempted to do any adjusting on the truss rod yet due to the fact of IDK if the rattle can be adjusted out. When I press my finger on the A-corn nut and strum the strings there is no rattle. Is this normal for brand new PRS bass guitars? Am I missing the instructions on how to setup the guitar? I'm not a luthier so this is unfamiliar ground for me. I wouldn't think a premium instrument such as this one would have this issue straight out of the box. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just want to play!!!

Thank you and have a stupendous day!!

-RynoMatic-

I would tune it up, adjust the neck and action etc and play it for a day or two. I've gotten guitars that were wonky for a few days and eventually settled down. I guess it depends where it shipped from and to, as well as the environmental conditions and whether the strings were loosened for shipping.

This doesn't sound right to me. Others here are really good at set-ups, and can give some advice. My *guess* is that either the truss rod wasn't tightened, and during set up, was just fine with a mostly loose nut, and then it vibrated lose in transit. Did you buy from a brick and mortar (take it back for a set up) or on line (get help here, return, other options?).

I bought the guitar from zZounds online. I talked with them and they are willing to give me a refund. The guitar happens to be the last one they had access to broker, so there is no exchanging for another kingfisher through them. I would rather keep it and have it repaired if need be. I have my fingers crossed and I've said my prayers to the guitar gods. Now I'm waiting on sacred advice for the easy, something simple I'm overlooking because I'm an ameture idiot, do this adjustment and it will be fixed answer! I was told by zZounds the guitar was shipped factory direct. I have no Idea what the climate is like at the factory. However, I live in AZ and the climate here is moderate at the moment due to season change. It was 67°F for the high and is supposed to be 36°F for the low, 26% humidity. 30° temp change is significant. Senor Verde may be onto something. "The guitar may be wonky for a few days and will eventually settle down." IDK.

Being able to touch the truss rod acorn nut and have the problem go away narrows your troubleshooting down. As a guitar player you’ll be adjusting truss rods forever and so you should know how to do it, there’s a lot of videos on YouTube to show you how. But If it was me and remember I don’t know your skill set, I’d first measure the action at the 12th fret between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret, write it down so you know what your neck is adjusted to, then mark the top of the acorn nut with a sharpie so you have a starting point, then I would loosen the truss rod acorn nut and count the turns till it’s removed. Remeasure the action, did it change? If it did the truss rod probably had some tension on it, if not maybe it was never tightened. Then very lightly lube the truss rod threads to make sure the acorn nut moves freely. Reinstall the acorn nut and tighten it counting the turns back to where it was. If it was loose tighten it another 1/4 turn, play it and see if the rattle has gone away. Let us know how your doing, I’ll watch for your post.

Last edited:
It may be worth giving it just a little tightening - not even a quarter turn - just to see if snugging it up a bit lessens or eliminates the rattle. I agree w/everyone here - I think you've got the problem identified correctly.

It may be worth giving it just a little tightening - not even a quarter turn - just to see if snugging it up a bit lessens or eliminates the rattle. I agree w/everyone here - I think you've got the problem identified correctly.
This right here ^^^^

Tighten it just enough to snug it up and make the rattle go away. If the neck doesn't need adjusted there is no need to go any farther. This won't hurt anything.

Back