Tremonti SE Custom Vs Custom SE 24

TazR71

hello all , I am new to PRS Guitars, I need your help in choosing as my local dealer dont have all models in stock.

I was wondering the difference in body size on the Tremonti SE custom and regular Custom 24 SE ? Is the tremonti body bigger than the custom ? I have played the Custom 24 and really loved the body size , but I have my eyes on the Tremonti SE as I am a creed/Alterbridge fan and kind of like the Gray black color. However, A body bigger than custom 24 SE maybe not be suitable for me.

Can someone elaborate on this ? Thanks a lot

The Tremonti is thicker front to back, and obviously a different (singlecut) shape, so it’s definitely heavier. Tone is a little thicker, especially the neck pickup. I like AB/Tremonti a lot too, but personally, I find the neck pickup more useable with gain on the Custom, since it’s closer to the bridge due to the extra frets, and doublecuts just aren’t as fat sounding on the neck pickup.

The Tremonti will also have a trem up route allowing the trem to pull up to a higher pitch than the same trem on the Custom.

I compared both of those models a couple of weeks ago. Along with what the folks above me said, the Tremonti also has a thinker neck. Not by much, but it is thinker than the Custom 24. Of the two, I preferred the Custom 24.

The Tremonti is thicker front to back, and obviously a different (singlecut) shape, so it’s definitely heavier. Tone is a little thicker, especially the neck pickup. I like AB/Tremonti a lot too, but personally, I find the neck pickup more useable with gain on the Custom, since it’s closer to the bridge due to the extra frets, and doublecuts just aren’t as fat sounding on the neck pickup.
Thanks for the feedback, You are right extra weight could be an issue for me, I am probably leaning towards the Custom 24 SE , I wish they had better color option, Not sure about the Whale blue and Tobacco Burst.

I compared both of those models a couple of weeks ago. Along with what the folks above me said, the Tremonti also has a thinker neck. Not by much, but it is thinker than the Custom 24. Of the two, I preferred the Custom 24.
Thanks for the response, I loved playing the custom 24 , I haven't seen or played the Tremonti but it sounds like it would be heavier and thicker body. I wish they had the Gray Black color in Custom 24

I meant thicker. The Custom 24 has a wide thin neck profile and the Tremonti is wide fat. I think that’s right, it’s not a big difference but I could feel it.

I meant thicker. The Custom 24 has a wide thin neck profile and the Tremonti is wide fat. I think that’s right, it’s not a big difference but I could feel it.

The Tremonti is also Wide Thin which is one of the reasons I don’t own one yet. If only it came with the DGT or Pattern Regular neck carve...

The Tremonti is also Wide Thin which is one of the reasons I don’t own one yet. If only it came with the DGT or Pattern Regular neck carve...

You are correct. I went back and checked since I thought the tremonti was a wide fat neck. I guess that’s why I didn’t feel much of a difference in the necks. I’m still learning all of this.

I have a Tremonti Custom, and an SE CU24. The Tremonti is heavier, thicker, and has a balls to the walls rock sound (and old USA Mira pickups in it with coil taps) The SE 24 actually has a wider neck than the Tremonti, and has a smoother sound. They don't sound even remotely similar, which is a good reason to have both. I used to have a regular SE Tremonti, which definitely had a thicker neck than either of the other 2. The SE Tremonti Custom also has the most shallow neck of all my PRSi. And, of course, the obvious solution is to get them both.

Last edited:
Back