Tremolo Bridge G3 Screws Knife Edge

sixstringoverdrive

Hey Everyone,

I wondering, if the knife edge on the G3 screws were ruined, what would the symptoms be? That the tremolo system doesn't go back to in tune when you use it? I'm talking about those 6 screws that hold down the tremolo block.

Thanks!

If they were ruined, but you’d play the guitar without using the tremolo at all would it matter? Or does it only matter if you intend to use the tremolo for bends?

Well, they are not ruined. probably just have to be reset.

But to answer your question. If you play with those screws under tension it will disrupt the knife edge balance. it will go out of tune when you use the trem but it might also go out of turn just bending unless you deck the bridge. (ie, tighten the springs so the bridge lays down on the body) But that's not the way to fix it.

The next time you re-string your guitar, you can take out the springs in the back and reset the knife edge. There is a video of Mann somewhere out there doing this. first set the set screw height as specified by PRS, then put in the springs and then the strings. If you cant get it to stay in tune, you can do what I did and sent it in to the PTC. :)

Sure, so if the bridge is decked and the knife edge is ruined or not correct, it’d still stay in tune? I alway prefer a decked bridge and don’t use tremolo.

I guess it should go back in tune if it's decked I would think. But I might want to reset the knife edge and then deck it.

Okay I fixed mine by following these instructions from John Mann. I believe I fixed the knife edge but I still had slight tuning problems with my guitar. I think that was related to the nut because when I sent mine into PCT they replaced the nut. But then again they also adjusted the height of the bridge set screws. I think I lowered it too low so you may need to get something to precisely measure. I'd say give it a shot yourself first, if you can't get it to stay in tune it could be the nut, then you can either send yours into to PTC like I did or a local luthier perhaps??

Back