Tremelo springs ringing?

So my surgical tubing came in this afternoon and I inserted it into the springs and picked deliberately firm and articulate on neck and bridge and it is greatly diminished, basically not noticable at all...and that's with me listening very intently.

The only problem is I ordered 7mm diameter and I wasn't able to shove it in very far so I spliced it down the middle then trimmed out a little more, but even then wasnt able to push it on more than 1/3 the way, but I flicked the spring and it was silient so I thought it might just be good enough to do the job and I'm pleased with the result.

I think ideally, I'd like to find the right diameter so I don't have to cut it to make it fit and so there's nothing that could potentially get caught in the spring. Also, I'd like it to run the full length of the spring vs 1/3rd the way so I think I'll need to spend another 10 bucks or so...but hey, there's not a lot of problems you can solve for 20 bucks so to me it's worth it.

The link you mentioned says it is 1/4" which is 6.35mm which I can imagine would still be a chore to shove in there...does it fit in easily in the stock springs? Once again, it is a standard 24 S2 so I don't know if it's the same springs on a core or other series.

And Thanks a lot for the suggestion.
Hey there, just to clarify, the Stewmac is a 1/4" size and fits well into PRS and Stratocaster springs, except for the Gotoh high tension. I don't have any SE guitars, but I suspect they are the same diameter-wise to Core. If you use a slightly smaller diameter, like 6mm silicon tubing, it should work perfectly

The only problem is I ordered 7mm diameter and I wasn't able to shove it in very far so I spliced it down the middle then trimmed out a little more, but even then wasnt able to push it on more than 1/3 the way

The link you mentioned says it is 1/4" which is 6.35mm which I can imagine would still be a chore to shove in there...does it fit in easily in the stock spring?
I wonder if you could cut the tube a little long, pierce one end with a sturdy wire tied off, and use that to pull it through the spring? Kinda like an electrician fishing wiring through the walls. It might tear the tube, but maybe worth a shot?

Interesting...I've noticed a similar resonance on my '23 studio. Haven't really given it much thought as it' a really minor thing and can't be heard when amped. I think you guys have diagnosed my problem. Thanks!!!

I use the end of a coat hanger with a tight bend in the end. Wrap it once around the end to get the friction to hold it in place then stretch before pulling it back through the spring.

A string could work but high E might be too thin and cut through the tubing. I’d try the low E instead.

you have 10 feet correct?
split the rubber down the metal the length of the spring
cut it down until you can thread it
pull it out the end
now the rubber will get thinner as you stretch it
tie or clamp the un-split end
Pull the rubber until its thin enough to slide the length of the spring
pull it through the spring to the end of the part you slit and cut it off
The rest will relax and expand to fill the inner diameter of the spring

Thanks for the input fellas.

It seems 5mm tubing was the right size. 6mm was still a chore to shove in more than 1/3 the way. I probably could of gotten creative fishing it through with 6mm but that's okay. I think I'll need more PRS tremolo guitars now lol.

It is definately resolved and I'm content...we guitar players can be a fickle bunch.

Thanks for the input fellas.

It seems 5mm tubing was the right size. 6mm was still a chore to shove in more than 1/3 the way. I probably could of gotten creative fishing it through with 6mm but that's okay. I think I'll need more PRS tremolo guitars now lol.

It is definately resolved and I'm content...we guitar players can be a fickle bunch.
Nice! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

Back