Torn Fingernails

treillw

Does anyone else tear the tips of your fingernails off your fingers while bending? This always happens to me. Any remedies?

I've got something weird going on with my fingernails at the moment. Not guitar or fungal related though... Odd!

Anyway...

Other than the obvious about keeping them cut short then you'd need to analyse your technique. The strings should be bunching on the tips of your fingers and your nails shouldn't be touching the strings.

I don't mean that my actual fingernail is tearing - the nail itself doesn't touch the string. When I bend hard, it pulls the skin away from the nail and it just separates where they are connected like.

I've got something weird going on with my fingernails at the moment. Not guitar or fungal related though... Odd!

Anyway...

Other than the obvious about keeping them cut short then you'd need to analyse your technique. The strings should be bunching on the tips of your fingers and your nails shouldn't be touching the strings.

That has happened to me before Usually it's because I'm bending strings near the nut with my index or middle finger. I just stay away from those licks for a day or two and try to not bend so hard the next time. I'm not sure if I have a remedy though. It just kind of heals up.

Back