Tool for adjusting stoptail poles?

Discussion in 'PTC - PRS Tech Center' started by Elliot, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Elliot

Elliot Still a New Member

just used a screwdriver to adjust mine and it raised the brass very slightly on the edges where the driver was exerting force. I normally don’t care about dings in my guitar but the notches in the pole face are really bugging me and I don’t want more. Is There a tool that PRS provides that runs the full length of the pole piece slot so I don’t do this again?

2. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

I don't know if there is a tool, but I use a string action gauge from Stew Mac. I wrap some tape around it so it's a little thicker. Also, never with tension on the strings.

Boogie and Elliot like this.
  3. Herr Squid

Herr Squid I was severely impressed

A trick I picked up at the factory is to use a metal jack plate. It fits the stud slots pretty nicely and isn't as prone to chewing up the slot as a screwdriver. You can buy them as part of the PRS Accessories "Hardware Kit." Metal jack plates from Stew Mac or another supplier might work too.

I agree about not doing it with the strings under tension.

Alnus Rubra and Boogie like this.
  4. alantig

alantig Santana-free since '63!

5. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I use a thick steel rule turned long-ways...gives me more mechanical advantage without focusing the torque in 2 small places. Double underscore on the above bolded statement: loosen the strings or you risk this kind of damage.

Alnus Rubra, bodia and charliefrench like this.
  6. Weeman333

Weeman333 New Member

Solid advice here. What would one do for removing the small adjusting set screws ? Mine are rusted up pretty bad and completely seized

7. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

Something like this...a T-handle Allen wrench. Drench it in a releasing oil first. Tape and cover the guitar finish first.

bodia likes this.
  8. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Maybe if you can, remove it from the guitar first and apply “releasing oil”,as @Boogie says.

If it’s off the guitar, you maybe be able to place the bridge assembly into freeing oil to allow it to penetrate fully and thus hopefully preventing any screws snapping!

Best of luck. Hope this helps?

bodia likes this.
  9. gush

gush New Member

Worst case, drill out set screws and cut new threads. Send me the bridge and I'll do it.