Tone Feedback Requested

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
Here we go again...finally posted my sort-of cover of Kiss's "War Machine". "Sort of" because it's more of a tone experiment - I was trying something different. It's more of a backing track format - just looped drums, two guitars and bass. No added FX. No melody. No solo.

First (left-panned) guitar is my DGT. Second (right-panned) is an '82 Les Paul Pro.

Please let me know how it works. And yes, I know how tedious it gets, especially after the solo section.

https://soundcloud.com/alantig/war-machine

Ah...that's why I was asking. I was experimenting with Amplitube, specifically Amplitube Metal. They've got an Orange Collection (that's on sale now) that I've been eyeing up, but I wanted to make sure that the amp models in general were convincing enough to spend the money. The procrastination has lasted until this sale (which I found out about by accident - 60% off is a great deal!), but I wanted to get feedback and not just wish myself into thinking the models were good enough.

I'll have to verify, but the two models on this recording are Marshalls. One I think is based on an Ace Frehley sound, based on the name. Can't remember about the other. And I did use the Ampex SVX modeling software for the bass - that's been a nice addition to my arsenal.

Alan, as good as the Amplitube tone can be, try Scuffham S-Gear before making the additional investment.

It's very inexpensive, and perhaps the most accurate software modeler I've found.

Oddly enough, I just took Amplitube 3.10 off of my hard disk because I noticed some muddy artifacts in the lower midrange that seemed to be common to all of their models.

I still have the Logic, N.I. Guitar Rig, Waves GTR3.5, and Scuffham S-Gear on my disk. The latter gets the most use and gives me the most authentic tones for whatever reason, though I do find the others useful in coming up with parts.

As you know, I'm pretty fussy, and usually use real amps for recording. S-Gear is actually very good.

Last edited:
I was hoping you'd chime in, Les. I'll have to look at S-Gear - not sure if I've looked at them before.

The problem I have with modelers - well, it's more a problem w/me than the modelers - is that I'm very rarely chasing a specific tone, or at least one that I can quantify in terms of a player or an amp. I hardly ever say something like, "I want a Marshall here" or "a Fender would sound good in that spot". Which, as you can imagine, makes it really difficult if I'm talking about a new amp and someone says, "Well, what's your starting point?"

Strangely enough, when I was working the song out, I plugged the DGT into my 2-channel C. I don't remember if I had the dirt from the amp on the lead channel or with a Tone Bone Hot British pedal, but it NAILED it. If I make a serious pass at this, that's the tone I'm going back to.

Sounds good. There seems to be a bit more definition on the left...

That's the DGT, which seems to be clearer overall than the LP. Plus I think it may be a tad higher in the mix, which I tried to avoid. And I think there was a bit less distortion on that amp model.

Back