The hindrance of heritage, and why PRS will one day rule the guitar world

CJM3175

Was there great music recorded with Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Stratocasters? Of course! The sounds of these two instruments for many of us define the guitar sounds we grew up with and love. However, to say that they have since rested on their laurels in terms of production, design, and development would be a gross understatement. This latest release from Gibson is yet another example of wasted resources and potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-cjeEHeZtM

I recommend starting at the 13:47 mark if you are in a hurry.

Lots of folks do not want innovation, they want to re-create the sounds that they've heard on records forever. Others do want innovation, and want to define their own sonic territory.

The LPs in that video sound like classic LPs sound. My McCarty Singlecut sounds different - to my ear, richer and more vibrant - but someone else might think, "Yeah, it's great but it doesn't sound exactly like Whoever playing at the Whatever on June 3, 1968."

I love PRS, and they're all I play. But I think there's room in the world for both approaches.

I haven't picked up an LP in a while that made me go, "Now that's a nice guitar". There were many at Dave's Guitars and they just seemed more like big pieces of wood than an instrument. Believe me, I would live to have one, but i haven't been able to bond with any. Maybe some day I'll come across one that stays in tune and has good intonation. Joe Bonamassa seems to sound great with them.

I'd really like to have a nice LP. And by that I mean one of the PS McCarty Singlecuts.

The thing I like about PRS is they're always moving forward.

The PS McCarty Singlecut AND the Huber Orca 59 are two guitars that (both) pretty much give me everything a normal person could want from a "Les Paul" without really costing more than a "True Historic" and without the (in my mind) uncertainty as to whether THIS is the time that Gibson got it right AND whether the specific LP they delivered still managed to run afoul of Gibson's quality issues......And I say that having had a lot of LPs, including (sadly no longer in my hands) an original from the 50s.

This is a rough call for me. Fender and Gibson have to be doing something right because they make a ton of money on re-creating the past. When they have tried to venture out of the comfort zone, the market has said….nope give me a better '59 reissue or a '57 Stratocaster. Think of the Strat plus with lace sensors, 24 db boost, Wilkinson roller nut and tremelo setter to the Le Paul Axes, two amazing guitars that just never took off because people wanted the reissues. Gibson even went after PRS directly with quilty double cutaway and it was a flop but they were nice guitars.

PRS has created a great quality instrument, great branding and a cult following. Do they innovate, absolutely, but just like the others, their bread and butter is a few products and making them look killer and moving to off shore production successfully. Great business plan.

To me the real Historic Les Paul is the one built by Heritage in Kalamazoo by the folks that worked on them in 59. But to your point, I've said that companies like Heritage are looking back and building the best guitar they know how. PRS is looking forward and building the best guitar they know how. Both approaches have their merits. PRS will ultimately product the best guitar because they didn't have all the answers in 59. They had many of them, but not all of them.

Totally agree. Heritage is a great company that produces wonderful guitars especially for guys that are not guitar players!

At this point, are any of the workers at Heritage the same folks that built the vintage Gibsons? By most folks' way of thinking, Gibson peaked between 1957'to 1960. That was 55 years ago.

I have yet to pick up a LP and feel like it belongs in my hands. I have yet to pick one up and not been able to put it down. I keep trying, but so far it hasnt happened.
Cant say that about Fender and PRS.
In fact one week ago I picked up a fender and wandered around GC with it for a couple hours. That guitar is at home with me now.
Im still trying to get used to it, Its coming along and I like it, and now when I pick up my PRS I think "ah, hello old friend".

I like PRS guitars & Fender guitars. I have played many Gibson's over the years but never fell in love with them for various reasons. My vote is for PRS to come up with a guitar that covers both the Tele & Strat in one guitar (maybe 2 different sets of single coil pick ups). I would be 1st in line. There is no beating PRS quality and playability IMHO

I have always thought of the LP as "the luthier's guitar." Core and above PRS guitars have that same quality- should be no surprise given Mr. Smith's roots. I am 6 months + into my first and only PRS, my S2 Maple top SC in dark cherry burst. I'm an MLP member with 5000+ posts, mostly in Luthier's Corner (*@%##, this forum rejects my kystrokes) as Ole' Lefty and have a decent rep there. My PRS blew me away. I don't have a genuine LP right now- however I have 3+ in progress from scrtch ( giving up-- try to fill in blanks, please). I have two kits-one a true BOB replica; both unassembled. I have a near dream shop, but too crippled and brain damaged to really use it. The guitars I am reaching for as I re-learn "from 0" are the S2 and a Hardtail Cray Strat. (Mann Fatback Hardtail) My music is pure Chicago blues and some vintage rock (which is mostly blues based). I'm nearly 70. Set in my wasys. If I had $$ I would get a gold-black wrap burst SC McC or a dark cherry burst SC Private Stock with PAF's. PRS quality, LP-like tone. Said it often; PRS learned what not to do. OH- my only functional "LP" is an unmarked Chinese copy that I got all finished but undrilled. I installed primo guts and hardware. Detailed frets, precise setup and a killer guitar that violates all LP tradition.

At this point, are any of the workers at Heritage the same folks that built the vintage Gibsons? By most folks' way of thinking, Gibson peaked between 1957'to 1960. That was 55 years ago.

Yes, the three guys that started it are still there, and a few of the ones they hired from the Gibson production line are also still there. So the hands that made the 59's really are working the new Heritage H150's but they are getting to retirement age (understatement). They are in their 70's.

Yes, the three guys that started it are still there, and a few of the ones they hired from the Gibson production line are also still there. So the hands that made the 59's really are working the new Heritage H150's but they are getting to retirement age (understatement). They are in their 70's.
Youre serious? Man thats pretty cool.

I have always thought of the LP as "the luthier's guitar." Core and above PRS guitars have that same quality- should be no surprise given Mr. Smith's roots. I am 6 months + into my first and only PRS, my S2 Maple top SC in dark cherry burst. I'm an MLP member with 5000+ posts, mostly in Luthier's Corner (*@%##, this forum rejects my kystrokes) as Ole' Lefty and have a decent rep there. My PRS blew me away. I don't have a genuine LP right now- however I have 3+ in progress from scrtch ( giving up-- try to fill in blanks, please). I have two kits-one a true BOB replica; both unassembled. I have a near dream shop, but too crippled and brain damaged to really use it. The guitars I am reaching for as I re-learn "from 0" are the S2 and a Hardtail Cray Strat. (Mann Fatback Hardtail) My music is pure Chicago blues and some vintage rock (which is mostly blues based). I'm nearly 70. Set in my wasys. If I had $$ I would get a gold-black wrap burst SC McC or a dark cherry burst SC Private Stock with PAF's. PRS quality, LP-like tone. Said it often; PRS learned what not to do. OH- my only functional "LP" is an unmarked Chinese copy that I got all finished but undrilled. I installed primo guts and hardware. Detailed frets, precise setup and a killer guitar that violates all LP tradition.

I've bought on average about one Core model per year over the last 13-14 years. I haven't dipped into either the S2 or PS waters but I've steadily watched the Core line improve in quality (fit 'n' finish, tuning stability, tone) year to year. I'm semi-actively looking for a 2012+ singlecut to see how it compares to my very special 2001 SC and my 57/08 LE SC245. I know I will like the Phase 3 tuners better than the Kluson-style jobbies, and I really want to try out the two-piece bridge & tailpiece vs. the older stoptail.

Anyway, that's all a long-winded way of saying I think you should try out a recent Core model singlecut (Stripper, SC58, SC245). It may blow the S2 away.

Back