The Green Manalishi (With the Two Dragon Pickups)

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Had the DRAGON 1s lying around for too long. Thought it might be fun to throw them into my Knaggs Keya. What the heck, right? She's KINDA a PRS ;) She's a 24.75" scale, 24-fret, fixed-bridge symmetrical doublecut.

In keeping with the aesthetics, I covered the Dragons with new gold covers from Philadelphia Luthiers.

Sound-wise...well, the bridge pickup is certainly H-O-T HOT. Maybe it's the covers, but I don't get alot of the "chimey" ness that folks have reported with these Dragons. What I do get is some serious low-end chunk, and smooth, almost as if it were processed in a studio leads. Cool. Not sure if they're for me yet or not though.

Gonna try swapping out all of the guts for a PRS custom drop-in kit with the pots and all. That worked well for my SE Santana that I upgraded recently.

The picture sucks, apologies. She originally came with Seth Lovers as OE; previous owner had swapped those for a set of boutique humbucker-sized P90s. Wasn't crazy about the neck sound, but the bridge position slayed. After the swap, a bit underwhelmed. I don't think she's found her voice yet. Jury's out...but I do find myself playing quite differently on this guitar with her penchant for eating gain for breakfast :)

147_2_zpsjy1sbzgx.jpg

Nice upgrade! FWIW, if you decide you don't like the Dragon 1 pups, I think I could be persuaded to give them a good home;)

Very nice! Every guitar can be improved with a little PRS-ification! I just took advantage of the discontinued pickups sale in the PRS store and grabbed a set of covered 59/09s. As soon as those bad boys come in, they're going to have a new home in my S2 Custom 24.

if you decide you don't like the Dragon 1 pups, I think I could be persuaded to give them a good home
Or, better still, try some 57/08's, decide you don't like them and sell them to me reasonably priced;)

Nice looking machine by the way, I hope you can get her to clear her throat.

Thanks guys. Does anyone have experience with Dragons in a hog guitar / maple top? I would say that the body thickness of the Knaggs is about CU24 depth (eyeing it).

Maybe my ears are just used to all the newer PRS pickups, but she sounds like she has a blanket on her. A really HOT blanket, mind you...

Thanks guys. Does anyone have experience with Dragons in a hog guitar / maple top? I would say that the body thickness of the Knaggs is about CU24 depth (eyeing it).

Maybe my ears are just used to all the newer PRS pickups, but she sounds like she has a blanket on her. A really HOT blanket, mind you...

I had the Dragons in a PRS that's long since disappeared, but that's how I felt about the older PRS pickups. Cool for harder rock things, but they've improved quite a lot over the years.

BTW - Big respect for remembering the song, "Green Manilishi!" Peter Green, 1969...

Last edited:
Ugh, that doesn't sound good. I had a Paul's Guitar like that once, returned it.

In addition, I found out later it probably just needed new strings.

I had the Dragons in a PRS that's long since disappeared, but that's how I felt about the older PRS pickups. Cool for harder rock things, but they've improved quite a lot over the years.

BTW - Big respect for remembering the song, "Green Manilishi!" Peter Green, 1969...

Got the Peter Green anthology a few months back; so much there its hard to digest!

These Dragons are quite a bit darker than the HFS/VB which I still play in my older CE24s.

I have a set of gently used squabbin HFS/VB on the way with gold poles / screws. That's one backup plan that won't completely kill the aesthetic. Maybe I'm trying to make her into something she's not...we shall see.

One interesting thing I noticed is that the sound of this particular guitar in general comes through very strongly. A particular tonal quality that I had attributed to the previous neck pickup is quite prevalent even with the Dragon. Interesting...

One interesting thing I noticed is that the sound of this particular guitar in general comes through very strongly. A particular tonal quality that I had attributed to the previous neck pickup is quite prevalent even with the Dragon. Interesting...

The mark of a really good guitar, IMHO, is that its personality shines through regardless of pickups. Sounds like that's a very good 'un! ;)

I was thinking of the Judas Priest song, The Green Manalishsi with the Two Prong Crown.

Curiously, the Priest covered Diamonds and Rust by Joan Baez, a song cover by my band...

I was thinking of the Judas Priest song, The Green Manalishsi with the Two Prong Crown.
Well I'll be damned, me, too, but I knew the Judas Priest song is a cover of the Peter Green song. Hey, have you heard the live version of Diamonds + Rust on ... the one with the vocalist that used to be in a Judas Priest tribute band? Did you know they turned it (back) into a ballad?

Well I'll be damned, me, too, but I knew the Judas Priest song is a cover of the Peter Green song. Hey, have you heard the live version of Diamonds + Rust on ... the one with the vocalist that used to be in a Judas Priest tribute band? Did you know they turned it (back) into a ballad?
I did not know that The Green Manalishi was a Peter Green / Fleetwood Mac song. Heh. I must admit my familiarity with Peter Green's and other pre-Rumors Fleetwood Mac is not as solid as it should be (what can I say, I like Rumors, good pop music!).

I haven't heard the JP with the other vocalist version of Diamonds and Rust. Interesting, I shall now hunt it down. Along with some of PG's FM.

I assume that is a link to the JP song on YouTube - stupid work firewall won't show it. I'll check on my phone shortly.

He also wrote their big song from that era (one of my absolute personal favourites, and one I wish to cover some day, including the completely ambient/pastoral part 2), "Oh Well", as well as another famous cover, "Black Magic Woman".

I spent some more time with Greenie today. Torn. I guess I want her to sound more like a hot-rodded version of my newer PRSes. Which she doesn't.

That being said, I am finding myself attempting to cop Harem Scarem licks for the first time in ages. Poorly might I add. So I guess I am playing her much differently now.

I tend to play with dynamics and alot of pinch harmonics. These pickups can squeal a but, but are more about the fundamental. Almost feels like playing with a compressor a bit. Interesting...

Question, did you put any wax in the covers before placing them over the dragon pickups. Could the blanket sound be a micro phonic effect. I'm just asking to learn more than to say it is the cause.

Hog/maple top w/dragon pickups would be so crazy good. No experience but that sounds like a beast Carl!

And awesome guitar, very nice looking instrument.

I'd really give those dragons a shot uncovered if I were you. Other than the hot bridge part, nothing you are saying describes the dragon pickup tone that I've heard. It could be they're just not a match for the guitar too.

I have a ce22 with dragon 1s. It is a mahogany body with maple top the only difference being maple neck.

It does have a compressed feel to it but I would not say I hear the blanket effect. It does have rotary and it is a 1997 model.
when I first got it I thought old school Bad Company.

I have a spare set of dragon 1s just waiting for the right guitar.

Back