That blue burst `91 EG with a cracked neck joint on ebay?

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
I'm sure someone here was watching the auction. Seller accepted my best offer, which was low enough for me to factor in the possibility of sending it back to PRS to get the repair done correctly and back sprayed solid black. After that, the only other item to fix is getting the tuners back to stock. Cracked pickguard on old guitars is something I can appreciate.

We'll see if it's a 10 top once it arrives. I had a `93 EG many years ago, sold it to fund a car purchase. Never heard about the early EGs being canned due to the company losing money on them, and the neck joint issue until I joined here.

With a beat up 95 CE, a heavy relic 88 CE, and now this... mess... I feel like I've launched "Furtive's Shelter for Abused PRSi". Not that there's anything wrong with that. :D

Was that the bluish one?

You know, you are doing a great public service...cannot wait to see how this story unfolds...

Cool. Looks like a good player's guitar with plenty of character.

Can't tell from the pics if the crack is just in the finish or if it's the wood.

And yes, that's the EG version of a 10 top. Three piece flame maple.

Bangin'! I totally know the one you're talking about, glad to see you rescuing all these stray PRS.

if your going to do a ptc fix, i would get the winged tuners off ebay, and replace the ones on there now. Then see what the cost would be for the neck pocket fix, filling the holes from the aftermarket tuners, and a new pickguard. Instead of going black with the back, see what a colors you can get , since it may require a refinish to fix the neck pocket.

The EG arrived this morning as I was headed out the door to work. Everything about the guitar was as described in the auction; no surprises. Found a complete set of winged tuners on ebay today; with some luck that crack in the body will remain stable and tuner swap will be the worst of what I need to do for this guit. So far, after an hour of playing, it doesn't have any more wiggle than some of my other guitars. The guit arrived with trem screwed flush to the body; I believe the acid test for the crack repair will be to see how tuning stability holds up with the bridge floating, and trem bar used. I'm waiting for the tuners to arrive before doing a setup. For now, I'll enjoy it as-is. The Fralin Domino pickups sound fantastic, and pair up great with the HFS in the bridge.

Pic will be posted tomorrow.

The Fralin Domino pickups sound fantastic, and pair up great with the HFS in the bridge.

+100 I was blown away when my EG arrived - the Dominos are amazing, and it's really cool to be able to split the HFS in the bridge. I was persistent (and very lucky) so it took me quite awhile to find the right EG, but it has been getting more playtime than my older CEs lately.

Looking forward to the pics...hope she stays stable and true for you!

Sweet! Can you try and squeeze some wood glue into the crack?

The seller said it had been repaired, but didn't offer any additional info. I did successfully attempt injecting Titebond 3 into a broken neck joint on a Les Paul, and it held but that's a Gibson - I think broken headstocks were a factory option some years. This EG - I see the EGs as a failed but neat evolutionary branch of PRS. imo worth spending the money to send back to the factory if it's wonky, and see if they can repair it for a reasonable price.

In other words, me trying a repair of this extent is beyond my ability of pretending to know what I'm doing.

It's got it's share of dings and scratches, and the grain pattern is not exciting, but the color is starting to fade in spots into a greenish/gold. But aside from tuners and trem bar, it's all original and sounds like a beast.

DSC_0182_zps8wrjegsj.jpg

DSC_01832_zpsskva8zyg.jpg

Sweet as sweet! I have absolutely no knowledge on this model, but she looks hot.

Back