Is the EG body outline the exact same shape as a normal PRS body?

dwrockdoctor

Hi guys,

I have been trawling the interwebs looking for the perfect EG and being in Australia makes it even harder as getting guitars with rosewood sent overseas is a difficult process due to CITES rules that came into effect a few years back.

I had a light bulb moment, I have a few CE24's, especially one with a magic neck, and was thinking I could use the neck off of one of them and either make an EG body myself or have a luthier friend of mine do it. It'd be a little different to an original EG due to the 24 fret CE neck and I'd have to factor in a different bridge position into the design but it would get me closer to that EG strat thing I'm hunting down and is totally reversable at any time because of the bolt on neck so no harm no foul.

My question, if I trace the body of my CE24 for a template will I end up with the same body shape as an EG (specifically EGII) or did they alter the shape to accommodate the flat fender style body?

I had one a long time ago and it was definitely different. It was closer to being Strat-like.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I traced a CE24 body to some cardboard and mocked up how it'd all layout for a 24 fret version with my own tweaks:

My friend has access to a high power bandsaw and I have a router so it should be a fun project. Going to order the alder blank from stewmac over the next few days.

Just to iterate, in no way, shape or form am I looking to do anything shady with this, it is totally for my own enjoyment and troubles with finding a decent original EG at a good price. This'll give me some strat love with that PRS feel.

Finally got around to finishing off this project. An EG24. The one piece of alder I used was hard to make it take stain so instead of what was meant to be a hand rubbed sunburst had to be improvised and I ended up with a almost cola like tint crossed with a rosewood kinda deal. It'll do, hahaha. Plays wonderfully, gets the strat sounds I'm after with that PRS playability so I'm stoked. First guitar build project past the usual partscaster mischief. I actually failed woodwork in high school so I was surprised it worked out and I didn't lose any fingers.

Anyway, here she is:

Edit: Damn photobucket logo ruins the pic a bit but you get the idea.

Thanks Black Plaid! I'm bitten by the building bug now and the rabbit hole has opened up. I have a swamp ash EG style body rough cut with a rough cut torrified maple neck and flame maple fretboard halfway through. Also close to finishing my first full build, a fretless 4 string bass in a carl thompson style, I'm an old school Primus fan boy and always wanted a Les Claypool style bass so bought inexpensive bunnings warehouse wood (the home depot of Australia) and got stuck in once I'd finished the above EG body build. I'll post pics if anyones interested in seeing the near finished project?

Attached exactly the same as a bolt on CE24. I'll try and get some back pics when I get a chance.

Incidentally, I just snavelled a white 1992 EGII (HSH configuration) off of reverb for $600USD including an OG PRS case. Has a little bit of a crack in the finish on one corner of the neck pocket but doesn't look any worse than any of my CE's I own. If it's worse than that I figure it's still a good price for everything else that comes with it. Could always build a new body or repair the crack if it's worse than it appears in the photos.

Back