The one about EGs with cracked neck joints

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
Disclaimer: this thread is in no way intended as a jab at the manufacturer for what became a known issue for the USA EG line. My EG cracks are the result of different problems, and once repaired they have remained stable and feel no different than any other PRS.

Faded Royal Blue `91 EG II showed up several weeks back with that massive crack at the neck joint, trem screwed flush to the body, and in a general state of gritchiness and neglect. It all buffed right out except for the bit of character that I can only refer to as "the head transplant scar." No matter how ugly it is, Paul's signature in the pickup route makes up for it. I'd love to know the full story behind that. Once set up properly, the trem worked fine - but more important, the neck joint repair remains stable during trem bar abuse.

DSC_0234_zpsmznepeym.jpg

Last night another EG arrived - a 2004 SE, white/tortoise, sss. All stock. I remember when this model was released; always wanted one. One of my favorite classic F color combos. Guitar was advertised as cracked neck joint repair. Good people of the PRS Forum, one of the definitions of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results. Fortunately, I am not insane like that. Unfortunately, I am starting to look like the guy that is hoarding the broken EGs no one else wants - which is a different type of crazy. Or just stupidity. So this white "SEEG" (as this model appears to be named) must've taken a jolt in shipping and loosened the glued neck joint.

DSC_0231_zpsnx1i5hje.jpg

DSC_0230_zpsz4ury03n.jpg

Seller told me the guitar was originally a special order to a Guitar Center, arrived with the crack, was repaired onsite, then sold. Ain't no thang, it was either repaired well enough to survive, and if not the PTC is nearby. They have the technology, they can rebuild it... better... stronger... faster. Once again, I see a repaired EG with the trem is set up like a stock SE - tensioned to rest against the body. I get it dialed in - a day later it operates with no problems. I will say that the stock pickups sound very good to me, if a little noisy when the gain is up. Electronics are all original, and the volume pot is damaged. Going to replace the pots/switch/jack with CRL/Switchcraft, and move the caps over (will get the values next time it's opened up). SEEG turned out to be a bunch of happy surprises for a repaired guit - cosmetically in nice shape for a 12 year old import, the same neck profile as the Soapbar II Maple (fat!), and those pickups. Was hoping this wasn't going to be another guit that needed soldering, but it's worth it. This is my oldest SE to date.

Back