Talk me out of routing my 305 for bridge humbucker

I would not rout the 305 as the level of expertise required to pull that off and the cost involved would be cost prohibitive. Unless you go the full Hans route and get top tier talent doing the work, You will end up spending $$$ while devaluing the guitar...all the while not being sure if you will like the end result. I know we like to tinker, but just be sure you know the cost up front.

I would look into Buying a PRS Brent Mason. You'll will get the position 2 and 4 sounds and the hot bridge humbucker when you want it.

I've built a few guitars from bare wood in the past so I would do it myself. I have the tools and I would build some kind of home made jig for the router.

Yes the value will off course drop, but then again it already did as soon as walked out of the store. So I know I'll never get my $$$ back if I would trade for another guitar.

The Brent Mason again has the 5-way switch in the wrong possition. I could order a custom pick guard to sort that out. But I think all PRS's looks better without a pick guard (no disrespect) :)

Well,well... There are clearly more of you guys that think this is a dumb idea so I might just shut up and play the guitar instead :)

Thanks for all the comments though...

Jag tycker bara det är ett sånt roligt klipp men.....you shall overcome Macbeth :laugh:

Why not do it? It's your guitar, make it work the way you want it to. It's just a tool, so maximize its potential I say. Don't be concerned about the resale to a theoretical future buyer when you theoretically sell it down the road - make it work for YOU right NOW!

The people saying don't do it basically have 2 reasons, they think it will "devalue" the guitar and you might stuff it up.

Only you know the answer to the second one but as for the first:

1. There's an assumption you will sell/trade the guitar. Wouldn't this mod make it a keeper?

2. If you're happy with the guitar in every way except for one thing, and you have the power to change that one thing, why not change it?

3. "Value" isn't just how many $ some OTHER person is willing to pay for it.

4. It's your guitar, do what you want.

5. It's not as if it's a super rare pre-factory PRS, let's face it, a 305 is worth about $1.5k on the 2nd hand market. If there is any monetary devaluation, let's say $200, I'm willing to bet you'll get more than that in enjoyment between now and then (if you want to put a price on enjoyment).

6. Everyone thinks differently, I see a guitar, or motorbike or whatever, and wonder what can I do to make it better for me. I derive pleasure from the concept to realization process (then again I'm most of an engineer). Some people don't like touching stuff. To each their own, but only you can decide what you want.

7. OWN that guitar!

8. The "Modified Monday" thread needs more fodder!

9. YMMV

10. etc.

The people saying don't do it basically have 2 reasons, they think it will "devalue" the guitar and you might stuff it up.

1. There's an assumption you will sell/trade the guitar. Wouldn't this mod make it a keeper?

2. If you're happy with the guitar in every way except for one thing, and you have the power to change that one thing, why not change it?

5. It's not as if it's a super rare pre-factory PRS, let's face it, a 305 is worth about $1.5k on the 2nd hand market. If there is any monetary devaluation, let's say $200, I'm willing to bet you'll get more than that in enjoyment between now and then (if you want to put a price on enjoyment).

6. Everyone thinks differently, I see a guitar, or motorbike or whatever, and wonder what can I do to make it better for me. I derive pleasure from the concept to realization process (then again I'm most of an engineer). Some people don't like touching stuff. To each their own, but only you can decide what you want.

7. OWN that guitar!

9. YMMV

10. etc.

YES! YES! YES!!!!

I don't even think I know what an un-modified guitar is for.

WTF IS THAT?!?!?! Burl??? That's insane, in the best possible way. Deets, baby!

I had private stock make me a '407'. Works very well as a configuration for me.

MYM407-11.jpg

I never had any luck with replacing bridge singlecoil with a humbucker in Another popular guitar called stratocaster.Balance between pickups gets bad and Another problem is potvalues.Humbuckers doesnt sound good to my ears with 250 k ohm pots.Anyway heres an interesting article http://djesmusic.com/mods/prs305_mod.html

If it was me ( and it could be ) I would put the 513 pickup the the bridge position that way you still have all the goodness of the 305 bridge pickup and something more when you need it.
A Super Strat version of the 305 would be killer and a don't believe it would effect the value it might even increase it if done well.
What I would do is basically add a Blower switch ( Push/Push Pot ) that adds the extra coil to ANY position of the guitar.

We don't know what color your guitar is, but in addition to routing a larger hole for the humbucker, you would need to plug the edges of the original 305 hole and then paint them to match the top and buff it out to blend the paint together. The 305 pickups are wider than the humbucker mounting ring.

See: The Raven, step one. Skitchy gets to work by plugging the corners of the treble pup
(wish the pics still worked)

It might just work without plugging the edges. I have not seen the picks from The Raven but when I messure with pickup rings that came with some other trembucker I bought it sure seems that way. But it is wery close :)

305_1.jpg

305_2.jpg

7. OWN that guitar!

9. YMMV

10. etc.

I like the way you think...

Back