Studios & Kids!

That's awesome!

I will never forget my first experience like that. I was a Sophomore in High School, in a band, and had just bought a Tascam cassette 4 track from our band director ($200). We set everything up at my drummers place and recorded a song. Having no effects and zero EQ, I asked my Dad one Saturday if I could take over one of the production studios at one of his FM stations and mix it down.

So we went in, hooked the four track up to the massive 32x8 Mackie (the Tascam had 4 RCA line outs), and away we went. It turned out decent enough....for a metal song in mono.....but I learned a LOT. He kept cautioning me about the Mids and how to sweep them in order to pull out the best tone. The drum track was the worst as it was a single channel submix of 4 mics (kick, snare, hi hat, and a single overhead....all dynamics). We then took that mix over to a friend of his that ran a post production studio where I was shown the detail work of "polishing" and mastering. After that day I was hooked on recording and live sound. That same year of school I was handed the reigns of doing all of the audio for school musicals, talent shows, etc (easy way to get out of class!)

And that of course turned into spending increasing amounts of money on recording equipment. And then software and interfaces. And mics. That was 25+ years ago....still digging it.

Making fond, lasting memories with family is priceless and should always be cherished. Sometimes they seem to come so easily and nonchalantly, it's not until further down the road you realize how special that moment was. No doubt he'll hold on to that memory well into the days that he becomes a grandfather.

This story made me smile, thanks for sharing!

First off, where's the "love" instead of like button. Awesome story. Hoping to do something similar with my boys. They're 6,4, and 1. The oldest has been eyeing my guitars and wants to hold one every once in a while. He's content with just strumming and pretending right now. Can't wait until I get my drum kit set back up. That'll be fun. :)

Guys, as I understand it, my grandson is on Cloud 9 over the studio thing. I’m really happy that we spent that time together. Bonding!

We also spent time over the weekend working on his drawing skills - he’s really picking up sketching quickly, and has organized a little sketchbook for his artwork.

My daughter sent me a pic of a note he’d made to himself that was on top of his sketchbook at home; I should let it speak for itself.

DhmmCtS.jpg

Lump, meet throat. :)

Last edited:
Les,

Late to the party as usual, but how cool is that!
Another family virtuoso on the way.............

Ha! I guess that remains to be seen. Jamie was especially talented as a kid, but that really didn’t begin to blossom until he was about 11. It’ll take my grandson some time/effort I’d guess.

Back