Stoptail bridge - run out of intonation adjustment

Try putting your gold tailpiece on your other guitar and see if it intonates.

If it does, you'll know what's wrong and you'll need a silver tailpiece that matches your gold one.

Last edited:
I have both a milled and a stoptail with the brass inserts that currently aren't in guitars. If you would like to try them, I can loan them to you to check out, if you're in the continental US.
Thank you for the offer, that's very kind of you :) I will wait for the response from PRS and/or John Mann, will try swapping my bridges next time I change the strings, maybe try strings from a different brand just in case. Then I might take up on your offer.

Would you be able to measure the distance from the edge of the bridge to the edge of the saddles similar to what I did in this picture?

20/64" from the front edge of the bridge to the front of the lip where the string rests. Looks like your E string sits in a much deeper groove than mine.

Also measures the same from the deepest point of the stud slot to the end of the ledge where the E string rests.

I've had no issues intonating with this bridge. Hope this helps.

You may already be aware, but all the different bridge materials give a different sound. My personal favorite is the original cast bridge. The milled and brass insert bridges sound much brighter to me.

Thank you everyone for your inputs!

- I have a new set of strings on both guitars. Given the string length is measurably different, I think this is the problem, not in the strings.
- I took the strings and the bridge off. The adjustment screw is below the bridge and not pushing on the stud. Overall the bridge sits snug on the stud. I don't see any issues there.
- The studs look fine to me.
- The bridges seem different! I think there is about a 1-1.5 mm (2-3/64 in) difference in where the string starts. See the pictures below.

Your photo reveals that the taper of the 6E through D strings on the silver bridge don’t match the gold bridge. Translate, the slopes are different. Same of the G through 1E taper on the two bridges. I predict that with modification of the silver bridge slot depth you could get the 2 E strings to intonate, but the 4 other strings would be out. I think this bridge is from a different neck length. I believe you need a new correct bridge, and your problem will be solved. Cheapest, fastest repair. Don’t bother swapping strings, you proved it isn’t the problem with your measurements and photos. Good job too!

To me it looks like the grub screws are not moving the bridge , possibly someone shortened the screws.
Take off the bridge and look and see if they are moving or stripped.
If the grub screws are doing what they are supposed to with the right amount of travel it should intonate

Thank you for the offer, that's very kind of you :) I will wait for the response from PRS and/or John Mann, will try swapping my bridges next time I change the strings, maybe try strings from a different brand just in case. Then I might take up on your offer.

Would you be able to measure the distance from the edge of the bridge to the edge of the saddles similar to what I did in this picture?
Here's a pic from a very recent Paul's bridge I got off the shop.

6ad3d7625cdf094f.jpeg

Back