Stainless Steel Frets on a PRS

None of my PRS have SS frets, but my 5 Suhrs do. I prefer SS frets for feel and longevity. I have an 11 year old Suhr that almost has divots in the board, it has been played so much. But the frets are still perfect. It is the ultimate fret material for me.

A lot of great luthiers don't or won't use it, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

None of my PRS have SS frets, but my 5 Suhrs do. I prefer SS frets for feel and longevity. I have an 11 year old Suhr that almost has divots in the board, it has been played so much. But the frets are still perfect. It is the ultimate fret material for me.

A lot of great luthiers don't or won't use it, but that doesn't stop me from loving it.

I have a good friend that has a modern satin SUHR and i really love the SS frets, that is about the only thing i feel a SUHR has an advantage over my C24.

The feel of those SS frets is fantastic.

I'm fast becoming a major Suhr convert. Tonally they're unbeatable. PRS has better ergonomics. I prefer SS frets on the Suhrs for longevity. Are you going to replace your PRS frets with SS ones?
What Suhrs do you own? Pics?

I have two Suhrs, one with SS and one with standard frets. I definitely prefer SS - they just do not wear to the same degree as nickel and feel like new even after 8 years of heavy play. I have a 3rd Suhr currently on order with jumbo SS.

I have to admit though that my 2009 PS and 2011 Tremonti show very little fret wear, albeit they get played less than the Suhrs. Earlier PRSi I owned (e.g. 2003 custom 22) were definitely worse and were noticeably lacking a crown after even only a year of play.

I have two Suhrs, one with SS and one with standard frets. I definitely prefer SS - they just do not wear to the same degree as nickel and feel like new even after 8 years of heavy play. I have a 3rd Suhr currently on order with jumbo SS.

I have to admit though that my 2009 PS and 2011 Tremonti show very little fret wear, albeit they get played less than the Suhrs. Earlier PRSi I owned (e.g. 2003 custom 22) were definitely worse and were noticeably lacking a crown after even only a year of play.

I'm considering selling my violet Cu24 with 59/09s (I have an orange one with 57/08s which is the same guitar except not wood library model) to fund a Modern. Considering! Not sure yet as the PRS ergonomics are better (easier high-end playability).

I've had my orange Cu24 for about a year now and can definitely see a little denting in the nickel frets - I dread the day I have to get it re-refretted as it's an ebony board which we all know can shatter! Wouldn't know whether to get SS frets fitted at that point or not.

If this thread had not been started by Geese, I'd be tempted to believe this thread was a not so cleverly disguised attempt to have a thread dedicated to Suhr guitars....

I really did not like the frets on the MEIs, so this one got Jescar FW57110 SS up at Mike Tuttle's shop...

086.jpg

If this thread had not been started by Geese, I'd be tempted to believe this thread was a not so cleverly disguised attempt to have a thread dedicated to Suhr guitars....

As a relatively new member, and I'm not being confrontational here (honest!) - are we allowed to talk about other guitar makers on here?
Disclaimer:
I own two PRS CU24 and one Suhr Pro S4.

:) Maybe I didn't get the humour, sorry! It's ok, I gush about all my guitars! :) And... my PRS is definitely more ergonomic (higher fret access is much better).

Fair point! it's probably driven by accessibility to Suhr products and the fact that even their 'cheaper' models come standard with SS frets.

This topic has been beaten to death on several forums.

Paul R. Smith likes what he likes, and he prefers the frets he uses - whatever his reasons are. PRS guitars do sound wonderful, and they play great, so there's that to think about. As far as he's concerned, it ain't broke, and he ain't fixin' it!

You can't please everyone on the planet, and Paul, to his credit, sticks to producing guitars he believes in.

Hey I had all my guitars re-freted with jumbo stainless steel frets and I absolutely love what I'd does in terms of playability. The only guitar I never changed was my Mark Tremonti, simply bcs they are jumbo, or at least feel like it. Every time I buy a prs it will sit for a wile Intel I get the ss frets.
Also I have noticed a brighter sound from the ss frets but it could just me, I swore I could tell a difference.
Any how love them!

Have to say I'm not into jumbo frets - I find they making playing more difficult.
Anyway switched to SS frets in their PRS and regretted it?

I once took a cruise on the SS Frets. Didn't enjoy it.

Worried the whole time.

I had my '91 Custom refretted by Jack Gretz about 5 or more years ago. He gave me the option of either PRS or SS frets, and in short I went with PRS. We discussed both scenarios, but I was just a bit worried about doing anything that would make the guitar any brighter sounding than it was. I don't know if PRS was using the fret material they currently use, but the frets on my Custom are already starting to get worn.

Back