Space station and meteors in one night!

Tag

A couple nights back I saw we were going through a meteor shower. After staying up all night and missing the "blood" moon due to clouds and rain last week, I thought I would check it out because it was a clear night. The football field at the local high school sits on really high ground, and you get a clear view of the entire sky, so thats where I was going to go. The meteor shower was suppose to really get going after midnight, but i saw the space station was suppose to be visable as well at around 8:45 PM, and I wanted to check that out as well, so off I went! As I crested the hill by the high school, the first thing I see is really bright lights. WTF? Of course there is baseball practice going on, and all of the huge night lights are on. :mad: :bawling: I thought to myself that was the end of my exciting night. :( I pulled in anyway, parked as far away from the lights as i could, jumped up into the back of my pickup and shielded the lights with my hand the best i could. Fat chance I am going to even see any stars, never mind the space station or meteors. I called my Dad on the phone, (he was the one who got me into this stuff when I was just a kid) and just as he answers the phone...SWISH!!! Not a killer, but a nice meteor streaks across the sky! :) So I am looking into the North west sky where the space station is suppose to show up, and I see a bunch of planes but no space station and SWISH!!.....another meteor goes sailing by! This one brighter than the first, and gave the appearance of going underneath one of the planes that was up there. VERY COOL! So I am talking to my father and trying to figure out what the space station is suppose to look like, when I see a "star" moving in a straight line coming right off the horizon where it was suppose to be, at the exact correct time! :eek: Now I am REALLY excited, and SWOOSH.....SWOOSH...... TWO more meteors go shooting across the sky! VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!! They were not great ones, but still really cool, especially for someone who has stayed up all night in frigid weather to see what was suppose to be up to "60 meteors an hour" several times, only to see nothing, and end up with a sore neck for 3 days. :mad: Anyway, this all happened in about 10 minutes time, so I was THRILLED to say the least! The lights bugged me, and I had a great show, so I headed home still talking to my father. I get home, go inside to tell my girlfriend how cool it was (she could care less) and she tells me to take the garbage out. I grab it and go outside and SWOOSH!!!...Just in time to catch one more! This was all several days ago and I am STILL excited! Cant wait for the next "blood" moon which I think is happening in October. Hopefully the skies will be clear this time. Fun time after all!! :rock:

Great story! I couldn't see the blood moon either, clouds.

A dozen years back I was driving from Tucson to Phoenix one night and I had my telescope in the back of the truck. There was no moon and Orion was up so I pulled off the highway and onto some dirt road for a mile or so. I set up and looked at the great nebula in Orion. It was the first time I could see the nebula in my little telescope. It was so cool. I was Jazzed all the way home. My wife, who was riding with me, didn't even get out of the truck.

Another story... I was a scout master for a while and on the nights that we would have a camp out, I would look up the times that the space station and the Iridium flares would be visible in my area. The boys would be setting up tents or whatever, and I would get there attention and say "I have a feeling something strange is about to happen in the sky". I would point to the general area that the flash would appear about 5 seconds before it was going to happen. When they spotted the flash they would go nuts! It took a few times before they figured out that there was a website that had the times listed for my area. It was a hoot!

My grandfather had several Drive In movie operations in West Texas when I was a young teenager... I still remember one night we were cleaning up after everyone had left and the sky lit up with the most spectacular Meteor Shower that lasted several hours. It was in the country, very dark and something I will never forget.
Also, several years ago in Austin there was a report of a small plane that averted a "blue ball" meteor falling that made the news... Several people called in and told Dept Public Safety that they had witnessed it. I always thought that was an urban legend, but apparently its true.

Cool stories! The one with the boy scouts is hilarious!

Back