Something Old; Something New

^^ Is that last one Koa? Do you have a link to it's NGD thread? Would love to see some more shots of that!

Yes it is koa. I can't do links very well from the tiny screen I am using, but you can get to it by looking at threads I started - this would be mid December. Which means I haven't bought a guitar all year.

As always, great thought-provoking thread, Hans. The oldest one I have is the 2007 HBII. The SE Angelus Custom, the Ted, and the Brent Mason all happened within the last couple of months.

PRS_old_and_new_2013_800.jpg

My first, bought from The Guitar Shop in the mid 90s when it was tiny.
CK_008RedFlameCustom22Body.JPG

my most recent, an unplanned build visiting Brent in the vault
CK_513AlohaTopGloss.JPG

EDIT: to answer taste changing question: My taste hasn't really changed, but 20 years ago I wasn't willing to spend the money on a custom build - mortgage and kids education came first.

That Koa DGT is monstrous. How I desire one of my own. So very soon.

The PRS I have owned the longest...
qMs8hiR6tBqIe6f5cAH123N51TwPo6SLtw0x_ssQdlU=w615-h222-p-no

The most recent...
photo+1.JPG

I wouldn't say my tastes have changed much. If anything I believe my tastes are converging while I try and maintain some variety on the theme.

Last edited:
I don't think I ever got a proper peep of that headstock on Absinthe! Wicked looking! You have a close up?

Old, per the OP: purchased new in 2004.

PRS%20Modern%20Eagle%20v2.jpg

Old, per my way of thinking about it: although I actually bought this guitar in 2007 (i.e., after the one pictured above), I played one very much like it in 1986. The '89 version I bought in 1991 never quite measured up but this one does. I would love to have had this one all that time, bit I guess it took 21 years for the right guitar to find me.

PRS%20Custom%20v2.jpg

New: picked out the wood @ the Wood Library in early 2012, guitar was completed 5/31/12 and delivered shortly thereafter.

PRS%20PS%203825%20v2.jpg

As far as any sort of implied representation of how my tastes have changed/evolved, well, I certainly lean toward the McCarty platform in terms of my taste in PRSi -- in 1992, I would have been right there with Mr. Grissom, whispering in Paul's ear, "Duane at the Fillmore! Page at MSG! Make the mahogany slab thicker! Offer a stoptail!" Unlike DG, though, I have a thing for rosewood necks; two of the three guitars here sport them, as does my newest and most favoritest guitar, which is not a PRS. (although it is essentially based on the PRS double-cutaway platform)

Bottom: My oldest... a 2006 PS Artist 3 chambered with trem and Brazilian RW neck and fingerboard in Turquoise

Top: My newest. a 2013 PS Artist 3 Semi hollow with trem and mahogany neck/ebony fretboard in Turquoise.

In between there is another PS Artist 3 semi hollow with trem and Indian Rosewood neck and fretboard in....you guessed it...Turquoise!!!

When the shoe fits, you don't change it! (Or something like that.) :rock:

406948531.jpg

I ordered my first PRS January of 2012 the week before Namm and received it toward the end of May 2012. It was worth the wait :). My First PRS was a 2012 Chris Henderson in Amber Black.

Since then, my tastes have not changed too much, as the most recient accquisition was a 2007 PRS SC250 in Tri-color Burst.

So, my oldest by manufacture is my newest accquisition and visa-versa.

I love the PRS Singlecut body, its very comfortable, the control layout just works right for me, and the scale length feels perfect.

Last edited:
90 since late 90's
DSCN7292.jpg

Newest PS#4303 HGB Honduran rosewood neck double wide 408's
beebf51b-8b52-4b78-ac95-003114b30f62_zpse97d7498.jpg

Taste hasn't changed as much as it's broadened I think.

Cool idea for a thread. It seems my tastes haven't changed over the past decade.

First - '03 Mac. Last - '10 DC.

oldnew_zps839b8e6a.jpg

That color with that top is insane!!! Not to subtle, not to over the top.....PERFECT!! WOW!! :adore:

Funny, though, you didn't like this one so much when I posted clips! :)

Anyway, here's a photo that shows off the top and the color better. It really is a stunning guitar.

411446_444352795619015_1185898862_o.jpg

First PRS
Bernie1_zpsd83e15e0.jpg

First American PRS
PRS305-05_zpsc3fef8ee.jpg

Latest PRS, had it for about two weeks now, haven't gotten it in the studio for good shots, waiting to make a few small cosmetic changes
_W6G7386_zps1d9ddf06.jpg

Back